DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Software Developers Kit results yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47420-xl2-software-developers-kit-results-yet.html)

Patrick King July 8th, 2005 05:05 PM

XL2 Software Developers Kit results yet?

The XL2 SDK was released over six months ago. Has anyone heard about any software control programs/apps for the XL2 resulting from the release of the SDK?

I find it hard to believe someone hasn't built tools to control XL2 attributes from the computer.

Any news? Any rumors that won't get this kicked out of the XL2 forum into Area 51?

Greg Boston July 10th, 2005 10:41 PM

It's being worked on by different individuals. Cant really say anymore than that.

-gb-

Patrick King July 11th, 2005 06:28 AM

Greg,

Since you can't say more and probably won't say who, can you at least tell them that folks are anxiously awating them releasing their work?

The XL2 will be old (in camera years) before anyone comes out with the promised software capability (promised by Canon's glowing press releases, not the SDK developers).

Zack Birlew July 13th, 2005 10:04 AM

My question for you is what are you expecting? About the only thing this SDK has been hyped for is how it can simplify making camera settings changeable by the push of a button. Don't they already have this kind of functionality with video mixers or something? I mean you can't expect there to be a film-look SDK setting for sale or anything like that, that would simply be too subjective. This SDK is just going to be as useful as a zoom controller from everything I've read about it.

Ash Greyson July 13th, 2005 02:31 PM

I think the settings could really help people that are just starting to use the XL series. Most the DVX fanboys are just dialing in a factory pre-set and tweaking it. Barry Green has taken that too extreme and published his various looks in a great little book. If I had time I would do the same for the XL1s and XL2.

The main issue with the XL2 is the fact that it is so customizable but NOT intuitive. Many people, even veteran shooters, struggle with getting the looks they want...

ash =o)

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2005 04:54 AM

I really wanted to take a look at this SDK. But first it needed an XL2 serial
number (since I don't have the camera that was a problem), now the order
form wants a US address while you can select a foreign country... weird!

Andy Joyce July 15th, 2005 10:15 AM

I applied for it. How long does it take to get an answer?

Ash Greyson July 15th, 2005 11:48 AM

FYI, in theory you should be able to store settings on your computer, email them to people and them load it to their XL2. XL2 cameras can already share settings locally via firewire cable. It would be great for people to have 40 or 50 looks stored on their computer and load the 3 they would need for a particular shoot. I have been doing it so long I can dial them in pretty quick but it would be fun to play with anyway!

ash =o)

PS if someone tries to "Sell" their settings I will start posting all mine for free!

Patrick King July 15th, 2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
PS if someone tries to "Sell" their settings I will start posting all mine for free!

Rob or Chris,

Double-quick, lock Ash's thread so he can't retract it and we can hold him to it in the future! ; )

Thanks Ash, I've already read and played with about five setups you've sprinkled through the XL2 forum. I appreciate you sharing your experience and expertise. Thanx to all who have shared or want to share (here is a place to park your fav setup).

PHK2

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2005 05:44 PM

Hey, we need to gather the various presets Ash has so generously shared with us and put them in one place, like right here, perhaps. Patrick or Ash, care to do that? I'm swamped at the moment.

Patrick King July 15th, 2005 05:51 PM

Chris,

I'll post mine. I can add one from Barry (Saturated Technicolor), one from Richard Hunter (Saturated for Routine Use), and a couple from Ash if they are to busy, but I don't want to steal their thunder.

AMELIE

Gamma (Cine)
Knee (High)
Black (Press)

Color Matrix (Cine)
Color Gain (+6)
Color Phase (-2)
Red Gain (0)
Green Gain (+2)
Blue Gain (0)

Vertical Detail (Low)
Sharpness (-3)
Coring (+6)

Setup Level (+2)
Master Pedestal (0)
Noise Reduction (Off)

Warm highlights and slightly green shadows of the film. More effective when white balanced with a +1/2 warm card.

Patrick King July 16th, 2005 08:22 AM

Here is the setup Barry Green detailed in a post. He used it for shooting a series of chalk drawings on a sidewalk to make the colors really pop.

Technicolor:

Gamma (Cine)
Knee (Middle)
Black (Press)

Color Matrix (Cine)
Color Gain (+4)
Color Phase (0)
Red Gain (+2)
Green Gain (+3)
Blue Gain (-2)

Vertical Detail (Norm)
Sharpness (0)
Coring (0)

Setup Level (0)
Master Pedestal (0)
Noise Reduction (Off)

Patrick King July 16th, 2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Hey, we need to gather the various presets Ash has so generously shared with us and put them in one place, like right here, perhaps. Patrick or Ash, care to do that? I'm swamped at the moment.

Ash, It was Chris Hurd asking this time, not me. But it's not beneath me to ask also, so can you post a couple of good Preset Setups for the XL2? Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease! I promise you won't be sorry!

Patrick King July 26th, 2005 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick King
Has anyone heard about any software control programs/apps for the XL2 resulting from the release of the SDK?

To answer my original question that started this thread: Yes, Steve Duke has created a free XL2 Presets Manager program using the SDK and Chris Hurd has posted it here on this forum.

Ash, thanks for posting your setups here, I look forward to seeing more of them from you now that we have an easy way to share and evaluate setups. I think we owe it to Steve Duke to check out his website Blue Barn Pictures and to share setups here in DV Info to show our appreciation.

Greg Boston July 26th, 2005 08:21 AM

Patrick,

That was the app I was referring to when I said I couldn't say anything. I was actually testing a beta copy for Steve Duke at the time you posted the question. I did not know it was going to be offered as a freebie for the DV INFO community. Again, many thanks to Steve and Chris for making this available.

regards,

-gb-