A tip on custom settings.... - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 14th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #61
New Boot

Hey Hunter,

I have not done it yet. I have an Imac 2.0 Core Duo that I purchased about 2 months ago when they were having the special on Final Cut Pro Studio where you would get $300 off Final Cut when you purchased a new computer so I did and it has worked wonderfully for me. I was going to run boot camp and put the Blue Barn software on the XP side but I have been avoiding doing that and trying to hold out for the Mac version of the software. I have just been taking peoples presets that they have listed on here and enter them into the camera manually for now. A bit tedious but I may just break down and install boot camp and do it that way, probably going to have to do that anyway so that I can run Adobe CS2 properly.

Tom
Tom York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #62
Slash Rules!

So . . .did we find out whether the order of white balance/activation of presets matters?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #63
New Boot

Hey Josh,

On my testing this weekend I found out that a good white balance before the application of the presets gave good results, but not so with the warm balancing. Which I had figured would be the case, as some of the presets are made to do the warming anyways. Again more experimenting is needed because as is usual, I was busier than I thought I was going to be this weekend and was only able to run a few tests....funny how that happens isnt it? Seems to be since we are all ingrained to white balance before a shot we should keep doing so but I would advise everyone to test their favorite custom settings. A good rule of thumb anyways. Now if I could just get Blue Barn software to work on a Mac.....LOL

Tom
Tom York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #64
Slash Rules!

Well, logically, to me, it seems the presets' effects would be negated by a white balance, at least where color is concerned (not so much saturation, black/knee settings)

Example: Let's say your preset adds +2 red, -2 green, etc. If you turn the preset on, THEN white balance, it seems the camera would see that extra red and lack of green as white, and remove it, taking you back to a totally neutral balance. Whereas if you have no extra red/lack of green, you'd add those TO a neutral white balance, which is how the preset was intended.

Right? Wrong?
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #65
New Boot

blue barn presets manager question...

hey, guys. have been reading over this site a lot recently. have been learning a lot. invaluable. really appreciate it.

here's my question. i downloaded the blue barn presets manager, but am having problems using it. when i connect my camera to the computer and open up the blue barn file, the usual window pops up letting me know the "device is connected". after that though, when i try to build a custom setting (or whatever really), there's a short delay before the computer tells me there's been an error. then, the whole site shuts down. i thought i'd downloaded everything properly as the directions were pretty easy to follow. anyone else had a problem like this?

quote #28 (i believe) on this thread mentioned that he had to allow the blue barn driver to install to his camera to solve this issue. have no idea how to do this.

any ideas? thanks.

PD
Peter Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #66
New Boot

Hi Peter,

Not sure how much help this will be, but here goes.

I installed the pre-sets manager on my lap top pc and had the same issue yet it worked fine on my desk top PC. I also tried installing the Canon Console software on the laptop pc which told me I didn't have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed. I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and since then, all of my IEEE1394 (Firewire) issues have gone away. My XL2 now works nicely with the pre-sets manager and the Canon Console software.

I don't know what your operating system is, but if it is Windows XP, are you running service pack 2 ?

Just a thought. Good luck.

Allan
Allan Beecroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #67
New Boot

hey, allan.

i do have windows XP, but i don't even know what this service pack 2 is. could you elaborate? it could also be a firewire problem perhaps, but i doubt it. fire wire IEEE1394 keeps coming up. i don't know if that's what i'm using. i had assumed a standard firewire cable would do the trick.
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #68
New Boot

Hi Peter,

The cable you connect the XL2 camcorder to the PC with is an IEEE1394 cable which is also more commonly known as a firewire cable. They're the same thing. Windows XP comes in various versions and as technolgy develops and more and more interfaces become available to connect to the outside world, the software and hardware world have to update accordingly.

USB and firewire technology is no exception and to keep up to date, Windows XP have a patch for their software, the latest being service pack 2. Service pack 2 was released to overcome many, many interface/software issues.

To check to see what version of XP you are running, go to the control panel on your pc (i.e. start, control panel) and select "System". Under the General tab at the top, it will display the operating system information (i.e. Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2). If it doesn't state service pack 2, then you'll need to go to Microsofts web site and install service pack 2).

I'm assuming you have the camcorder connected to the pc with a firewire cable as depicted in the user manual. Normally, when you connect the cable and then turn the camera on, the pc will detect it and open up a window asking which software you want to use. Are you able to use your camcorder with anything else on your pc ? I'm just trying to establish whether you actually have a good connection.

Allan
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #69
New Boot

yes, i'm able to use the camera for other functions so the connection appears to be a-okay. also, i checked my system and it's windows xp w/ service pack 2. hmmm....

on this very thread, under quote #28, someone mentioned they were having the same issue. they fixed it by letting the blue barns driver install on the xl-2. does this mean anything to you? would love to let the driver do just that, but i didn't realize i wasn't letting it do that, ya know.

thanks for the info, allan. at least i've filtered out a couple of things i know aren't the problem now.
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #70
New Boot

Sorry Peter, I don't know anything about installing the Blue Barns Driver onto the XL2. That's new to me.

Hope someone else on the forum can chip in with some other things to try. If you're running XP service pack 2 and are able to connect your camera to other software on your pc, everything seems to be in order.

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the pre-sets manager ?

Allan
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #71
New Boot

no, haven't tried that yet. will do. thanks.
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:19 PM   #72
Trustee

White balance the last thing before you start shooting... that has always worked for me...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM   #73
Slash Rules!

Is this before or after you apply the preset?
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #74
Trustee

I dial in a preset, then white balance. In my case I pretty much already know what every combination looks like, there are times I do some adjustments on the fly as well. Dont over think it =o)

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM   #75
Slash Rules!

But it seems that if you add preset that makes color changes, white balancing would negate those changes, know what I mean? If you add red with a preset, and then white balance, wouldn't it take away your added red? Am I wrong?

Also, it seems you'd white balance, if you were in a controlled environment/artificial lighting situation, after you set up your key light. Cause if you do all this lighting and gelling lights, and then white balance, wouldn't it negate those effects? Assuming you gelled your key, or whatever you're using to light the surface you're white balancing to.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders