Problems in darker settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Tourist

Problems in darker settings

Hi,

Doing a great deal of weddings and frankly need a bit of help with environment. I am interested to hear from those who regularly deal with low lighting situations and what the best settings for the XL2 are in this scenario. What type of portable lighting are you using if any. My feeling is that the current settings on my camera are either wrong or malfunctioning because no matter what I do I cannot get it to lighten up, except when putting it in "low light" function. When I do the image displayed in the viewfinder looks as if it is in slow motion.

Thanks in advance
D-
Dan Colgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Dan,

What settings are you shooting with, and what frame rate (60i, 30p, 24p)?

Generally, if you shoot with 60i with the iris wide open, you'll get the most light in.

You've probably tried the gain settings already? If not, you can dial in the gain (I think) up to +12dB, but you'll see noticeable grain in your footage.

I shoot mostly with 30p, and with the iris wide open, I dial the gain up to +6dB to get a "lighter" picture, and the grain is a bit forgiving (I wouldn't dial it up higher than +6dB, but it'll depend on your situation.)

For those times that I do need it, I use an on-cam light, like this Bescor light (though the model we have is the MPL-645):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/153065-REG/Bescor_MPL635_MPL_635_12v_DC_Light.html

Best,
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #3
New Boot

On camera light

Hi Dan,

I agree with Jeff, "on camera light" is probably the way to go. I also have a Bescor light which is the following:

Bescor | KLK-624D On Camera Light Kit | KLK624D | B&H Photo Video

It's a cheaper model but I get good results up to about 8-10 feet. It's good for interviews and ENG stuff. The XL2 low light capability is not it's best selling argument but it's the same thing for most 1/3 inch CCD's cameras.

I also tend to shoot at 30 fps and rarely go to 60i exept for TV jobs. I mostly shoot indoor with a full studio light setup.

You can also fiddle a bit with the "knee" and "pedestal" setting of the camera to get rid of some of the noise in black areas of the picture but it has it's limitations. I never go under 30 fps and I always shoot in full manual mode.

+3db and +6db can get you good results but anything over that will get very grainy and just doesn't look good.

Best regards

Luc Fontaine
Luc Fontaine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders