DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   interference (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47786-interference.html)

Eric A Robinson July 16th, 2005 02:14 AM

interference

HI there
I am experiencing the same problem on two XL'2 so if any one can throw some light on this I would be grateful.

I am shooting various demonstrations which require some very close up shots from both cams. When I have been capturing the footage, I am noticing what looks like analogue type interference, not pixilation but good old fashioned jaggy lines!

The periods of this interference appear to coincide with changes in the shot.

I am using Sony tapes and XL2's with standard 20x lens, 25p/1/50

The strange thing is in Final Cut I don't see the interference on my mac 23" lcd display but it is there on my crt monitor.

any thoughts?

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 16th, 2005 02:53 AM

Eric,

Do you think that you are seeing interlace patterns (the "combing" effect)?
Especially since they are not visible on the LCD monitor - only on a CRT.

Robin

Steve House July 16th, 2005 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric A Robinson
HI there
I...
The periods of this interference appear to coincide with changes in the shot.

I...

What do you mean by "changes in the shot?" Subject moverment, camera movement, or camera start/stop?

Eric A Robinson July 16th, 2005 03:18 AM

Hi there

The changes are in camera focus, and operation of the zoom presets.

Lauri Kettunen July 16th, 2005 04:00 AM

Eric, do you shoot using the interlaced mode of the XL2? If there's something moving in the image and you shoot an interlaced video, then, often, jaggy lines appear on a computer monitor.

To get a better idea what you really have on tape, connect your XL2 to a TV with a svhs cable. If you still see jaggy lines, then there's a good reason to assume something is wrong.

Eric A Robinson July 17th, 2005 11:43 AM

Possible answer?

Hi there

It looks like the answer to the problem lies not with the footage but with the crt monitors I am using (panasonic).
It appears that it may be a sync issue betwen the monitors and video signal, as I am shooting in 25p. What leads me in that direction is that the interference is not displayed on the two LCD screens I have on my system, only on the crt screen.

many thanks for your responses.

Steve House July 17th, 2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric A Robinson
Hi there

It looks like the answer to the problem lies not with the footage but with the crt monitors I am using (panasonic).
It appears that it may be a sync issue betwen the monitors and video signal, as I am shooting in 25p. What leads me in that direction is that the interference is not displayed on the two LCD screens I have on my system, only on the crt screen.

many thanks for your responses.

5 will get you 10 the CRT wants interlaced signals only.

Ash Greyson July 17th, 2005 09:03 PM

It may be in the footage, just not as pronounced as on the monitor... Easy fix... less of a problem on PAL in general but... in your custom settings, be sure to set the vertical detail to LOW when you are in progressive (25p or 30p) mode. You may also want to turn the sharpness and/or coring down a notch or 2.

ash =o)

Eric A Robinson July 18th, 2005 02:30 AM

Good advice

I am shooting in PAL, and I will try out your advice and let you know what happens.

many thanks