XL2 lens barrel movement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 lens barrel movement

I just bought a used XL2 and when the lens is in the locked position there is some slight movement. I this normal?

Ed Space
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Ed.................

On my XL1s there is some very slight movement, both rotational to the lock and back again (but I do mean minute) and lateral as the lens mount is flexed from side to side (again, minute).

If yours' is any more than that I would dismount the lens and ensure that the screws holding the lens mount ring onto the camera body are full fastened and that the screws holding the mating part onto the rear of the lens are ditto.

You'll need a jewelers screw driver kit as both sets of screws are miniscule.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

XL2 lens movement

Hi Chris,

Sounds like my problem. When locked there is some slight "play" in the lens barrell up or down, side to side. Probably less than 1/16 inch at the end of the lens. Disconcerting when you reach up to the focus ring and feel this slight "wiggle". I'll try your suggestion. Thanks Chris,

Ed
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ed, I have to agree with Chris. I have a XL2 and the movment of the lens on the camera is very small, you can feel it but you can not see it. I vaguely remember this subject cooming up before on the XL2.

Terry
Terry Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

XL2 lens barrell movement

You'r right Terry. I looked up some old threads and this is nothing new to XL2s. I tried Chris's fix and found the culprrit to be the body lens mount ring but I could not tighten the screws any, suggesting the taps are stripped. Probably could be repaired but I think I'll return the camera. Thanks Terry,

Ed
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Bugger.............

Isn't it a sod when someone flogs you gear as good when it's obviously damaged?

Sorry Ed, for your sake.

Sounds like it's taken a tumble and, as you say, stripped the mounting screws.

Hope the return works out OK.

CS
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris, I think I'm going to be OK. The seller is a reputable ebay dealer.
Ed
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear that you could not fix the mount yourself. I hope all goes well with the return.

Terry
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

XL2 Lens barrell movement

Thanks Terry, I'll be OK, the seller is a reputable ebay store, Adorama. This is the second XL2 they sent me. The first one had a loose viewfinder. Does anyone look B/4 shipping? I'm beginning to wonder about buying used, but hesitate to buy new SD that is phasing out. How much future is there for XL2 SD, Terry.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Space; May 4th, 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: addendum
Ed Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Ed...............

Well, can't answer for Terry, but it's got quite a few miles in it yet (IMHO).

There's still a shed load of stuff being shot in SD and will be for the next 5 years, at least.

It needs to be shot in 16:9 of course, which the XL2 is, and gives a pretty good picture, nothing by HD standards, but decent SD at least.

Don't write it off, it's got more legs than you can imagine. Long after the "First" world has gone HD, a great deal of the planet will be faaaaaaar behind.

And the "First World" still hasn't got it's head entirely around HD, heck, how many VCR's are still out there?

VCR = SD, end of story.

It's (HD) growing, but it's going to take years for all this legacy stuff to work it's way out of "the system".

Don't rush it, it will happen whan it's appropriate.

Get another XL2 and go for it.

Better a decent film shot on an XL2 than a complete load of b****cks shot in HiDef.

Just my take.

CS
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. I tend to agree with you. To replace the features of the rugged XL2 with a HD camera, is in the $5 to $6 K range. Especially the interchangable lens. I have a Canon 16X W/A that's my work horse on the XL1s. Time to move up to the XL2, new or used.

ED
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

I have to agree with Chris. I think it will be may more years before it's time to put the XL2 on the shelf for good. It all come down to what you plan on using it fore. If you will not be burning to Blueray or doing much work in Hidef then the XL2 will serve you well. If my XL2 bit the big one I would probably buy another new one.

Terry
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Terry,

You XL2 users are a stubborn, faithfull bunch. I will get a new or used XL2 after I see what Adorama offers me. I see I said 16X W/A in last post, should be 3X,

Ed

Last edited by Ed Space; May 5th, 2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: addendum
Ed Space is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders