Splitting audio inputs on Canon XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Tourist

Splitting audio inputs on Canon XL2

I have a Canon XL2 camcorder (purchased new in May 2010. I need to run an audio line from a small mixing board into the camera. Is there a way to use one channel of audio for the "line in" from the board, and use one side of the stereo front microphone as the second channel? Sort of a safety track if there's trouble with the line in signal. I can't find any specific information on this option in the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

-Bill
Bill Honvlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bill, and congratulations on your purchase. Despite it's impressive audio features, what they don't tell you in the manual is that the XL2 doesn't natively accept line level input. Nor can it natively use both the rear and front mic inputs simultaneously. You can probably get mic level from the board, and the easiest and cheapest way to do what you want would be to plug a two mono to stereo 3.5mm jack adapter (available anywhere for around $2) into the front mic input giving you two 3.5mm mono inputs, but that's not recommended - it puts a lot of strain on the socket, is an unreliable connection and possibly noisy. You are much better off using the two rear XLR inputs - which really means getting a decent mic if you don't already own one, but if not, you were going to get one anyway sometime, so it may as well be now (I mainly use a Rode NTG1).
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Good evening,

the xl2 will allow you to actually use all four tracks! However capturing all the tracks requires a program like scenalyzer (an economical piece of software).

I have used the front stero mic and a wireless into the xlr input in the back. That actually gives you an extra track to deal with when you capture, hence use of scenalyzer live.

when you hook up your second mic to the xlr make certain you press the small audio button on the side of the camera to select the necessary tracks.
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can't use the stereo microphone and the rear XLR inputs. You'll need to get a different mic (with an XLR connection) for the first channel and an attenuator for connecting the line level signal to the second input. A Shure barrel attenuator should run you about $50.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Marco, I was under the same impression as you, i.e. that you can't simultaneously use the front and rear inputs - but Dale above is right - you can - go into audio setup/audio mode, select 12 bit 1,2,3,4 and designate which pair your front and rear inputs go to. You need Scenalyzer or two pass capture to download the 4 tracks. Thanks again Dale, and isn't it nice when someone revives a thread most of us would have considered dead?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry, didn't notice how old the post was. Most people (myself included) wouldn't consider recording audio at 12 bits a valid option. Also, can you really access the XLR inputs this way? I thought you had to use the RCA inputs on the side, also not a practical solution in most situations.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Most people (myself included) wouldn't consider recording audio at 12 bits a valid option.
Most people includes me also. No, you don't need to use the RCA inputs to go 4 channel. I very seldom still use my XL2, such a lovely camera, just haven't been able to bring myself to sell it.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That's cool to know Rainer. Love my XL2 too and still use it. Sad day when it will eventually have to pass on.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

You actually can use line level with the XL2, or at least a slightly padded/consumer line level. Going in through the RCAs will allow you to get line level of a sort. a "real" line level device is too hot for these inputs and you will have to turn down its output or use an attenuator between the device and the RCA input, but it can be done.

Alternately, if for some reason, you have a beachtek XLR adapter, as I did because I had an XL1s before I had an XL2, that is a way to use XLR connectors and line level devices. Still the same level matching issue, as the Beachtek hooks up to the cam's RCA inputs.

As I understand it, "pro" line level is +4 (+4 what? no idea) and consumer line level (what the RCA jacks are set up to receive) is -10. Put a +4 into a -10 and you get distortion. So you have to pad the +4 device down to +10 or set the output of the device to be less than +4 to begin with.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders