Uncompressed from XL2? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 31
Uncompressed from XL2?

I was wondering if there was a way to get uncompressed footage from my XL2. I saw a couple things done with the DVX100 of that nature and i wanted to see what my options are.
__________________
--Devereaux

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 109
Am I wrong in stating that the video on tape in the XL2 is not compressed per se? It is just converted into a digital form (which technically is a form of compression, but not in the sense I believe you are referring to).

Please someone correct me if I am either flat out wrong or explaining this incorrectly.

Thanks,

Kelly
__________________
-------------------------
Partial Equipment List:
Canon XL2 w/ 20X zoom
Bogen/Manfrotto 516 Pro fluid head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3246 legs
Panasonic PATC7WMS1 7" LCD

PowerMac G5 2.7 GHz
OS X Tiger
2 GB RAM, 400 GB SATA
ATI Radeon 9600
Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD

Final Cut Pro 5.0 Studio
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,689
It is compressed, all DV is... There may be an app that will allow you to capture raw video to hard drive via firewire, I think that is how the do it with the DVX...
never saw the need myself, almost no visual difference and the file sizes become HUGE!


ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 241
Correct - all DV is, by definition compressed using the DV codec. But so is any video that comes out of the firewire port of an (unmodified) miniDV camera - you'll get the same image data whether you record to tape then capture, or capture to a computer through firewire (dropouts aside).

The Reel-stream andromeda works like this http://www.reel-stream.com/andromeda_graphic.php
It intercepts the signal before it gets to the compression stage. You also get higher resolution than DV.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
All DV is compressed at 5:1. My question would be, what would you do with uncompressed, and why do you feel that you want to have it. I'm not sure that you would see any difference in quality, and it would be a bear to store and edit.
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 49
DV is bad foor pulling keys

DV Keying is a nightmare, and I am also trying to find to get uncompressed into my drives. My thoughts were that if I went straight out of the Analog outputs to an uncompressed card, it would infact be uncompressed. But I heard that DV is compressed coming out if the chips, so the analog source out of the camera is compressed as well. So I am at a loss for what to do. Capturing to an uncompressed card, will however get you into 4:2:2 color space, but don't know if that makes any difference at all.


Chris is there a way to get uncompressed out of the XL2 ? Like the reel-stream ? Trying to key for DV is about 4 times the work than any other video format, like betacam even.
__________________
To Shoot or to be shot, that is the question!
James Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:43 PM   #7
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rhodes
DV Keying is a nightmare, and I am also trying to find to get uncompressed into my drives. My thoughts were that if I went straight out of the Analog outputs to an uncompressed card, it would infact be uncompressed. But I heard that DV is compressed coming out if the chips, so the analog source out of the camera is compressed as well. So I am at a loss for what to do. Capturing to an uncompressed card, will however get you into 4:2:2 color space, but don't know if that makes any difference at all.


Chris is there a way to get uncompressed out of the XL2 ? Like the reel-stream ? Trying to key for DV is about 4 times the work than any other video format, like betacam even.
You can't get uncompressed out of the XL-2, but there are filters out there that use some good algorithms to bump you into 4:2:2 color which will help with chromakeying. The modification done to the DVX camera was to tap into the data coming straight off the ccd chips before any compression could take place. A lot of the development was helped along by several DV-INFO members in the Alternative Imaging forum.

I would also recommend reading this page for a good understanding of 4:4:4 vs. 4:2:2 vs 4:1:1 vs 4:2:0. A well written article by fellow DV-INFO'er, Graeme Natress.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rhodes
is there a way to get uncompressed out of the XL2 ? Like the reel-stream ?
That's a question for the folks at Reel Stream!

Ask them directly at http://forum.reel-stream.com/index.php
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 49
Yea Reel Stream

I spoke with Jeremy about being a beta tester with my XL2, but he said the testing would not start for sometime, why would they wait when the XL2 would be the prize camera to make 4:4:4 and uncompressed. Anyway, what would be my best route for shooting DV green screen when compositing ?
__________________
To Shoot or to be shot, that is the question!
James Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:05 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rhodes
Anyway, what would be my best route for shooting DV green screen when compositing ?
Your best bet is getting good green screen footage and using Serious Magic's Ultra 2--very impressive! Go to their web site, download the demo version and try it out for yourself.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gloucestershire, UK
Posts: 187
Vegas upsampling plugin ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
You can't get uncompressed out of the XL-2, but there are filters out there that use some good algorithms to bump you into 4:2:2 color which will help with chromakeying.

-gb-
Does anyone know of an upsampling filter for vegas ?
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
My question would be, what would you do with uncompressed, and why do you feel that you want to have it. I'm not sure that you would see any difference in quality, and it would be a bear to store and edit.
Chris, I just today read for the first time about that andromeda system, used on the DVX.
Don't they say you get a higher resolution? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I just read about it quick, so I completely don't know for sure.

If so, if you blow your video up, maybe the extra resolution can be very useful.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #13
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Chris, I just today read for the first time about that andromeda system, used on the DVX.
Don't they say you get a higher resolution? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I just read about it quick, so I completely don't know for sure.

If so, if you blow your video up, maybe the extra resolution can be very useful.
You definitely will get higher color resolution. That's the main purpose is to get 4:4:4 uncompressed output from the camera. Otherwise, the unmodified DVX would give 4:1:1 sampiing. Look at the link I posted earlier in this thread if you want to understand what the benefit is.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,195
But is the bigger resolution also a fact, and if so, is it worth all the trouble and work? Do you get more resolution and if so, is it a buch more, or just a bit?
Thanks,

btw: I myself am not interested in a blowup, I even haven't got the DVX, just interested :-)

EDIT: I did a search on the andromeda, and if it's correct you should have an increased resolution of 720p, if I read correct.
Thanks,

Last edited by Mathieu Ghekiere; August 4th, 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network