XL2 vs DVX 100a at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
XL2 vs DVX 100a

Well in the next month or so i am going to buy a good camera.

So i was wondering what the diference is between the XL2 and the DVX 100a.

The DVX 100a is cheaper and what i have seen from it i like.

The XL2 is more expensive but i also like the reults from it.

Does anyone know the real diferences bettween the two?

Thanks
Max Wilson is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Saguenay, Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,051
Interchangable lenses, weight, shoulder mounted style, wide screen mode.
__________________
Jean-Philippe Archibald
http://www.jparchibald.com - http://www.vimeo.com/jparchib
Jean-Philippe Archibald is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Searches and other posts

See this post and many others.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=XL2+DVX+100a

Mike
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wilson
Well in the next month or so i am going to buy a good camera.

So i was wondering what the diference is between the XL2 and the DVX 100a.

The DVX 100a is cheaper and what i have seen from it i like.

The XL2 is more expensive but i also like the reults from it.

Does anyone know the real diferences bettween the two?

Thanks
Max,

That horse has pretty much been beaten to death on this and other forums over the last year. The XL-2 will give you a bit more flexibility in shooting options at a slightly higher cost. The DVX100a will give you a beautiful picture out of the box at a slightly lower cost.

We typically advise trying both cameras and see which one 'feels' best to you while you operate it. The man-machine interface is an important part of the buying decision with other things being roughly equal.

Good luck,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
If at all possible, get your hands on both and try before you buy. The right camcorder for you is the one which *feels best* in your hands.
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
thanks for you help!

I think ill go over to EVS onlines retail shop and see how they feel.

I wish i could get the camera now, but i need a new car first:(

One thing that may be a + is that i already have panasonic long life batteries for my PV-DV103D hand held camera...
Max Wilson is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 45
i got the xl2 for the true 16:9 mode. Everything is going the way of either HD or 16:9 and it's much better to have a true 16:9 than a fake cropping. You get better resolution basicly. You also get more zoom, which is good for making a deep DoF in a conversation scene. The interchangeable lenses are cool but expensive.
Robert Luke is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sherman Oaks CA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Luke
i got the xl2 for the true 16:9 mode. Everything is going the way of either HD or 16:9 and it's much better to have a true 16:9 than a fake cropping. You get better resolution basicly. You also get more zoom, which is good for making a deep DoF in a conversation scene. The interchangeable lenses are cool but expensive.
Dear Robert,

Haven't experimented with the 16:9 on my DVX-100A yet, so could you explain why it has what you call "fake cropping"?

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ventura, California, USA
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wilson
One thing that may be a + is that i already have panasonic long life batteries for my PV-DV103D hand held camera...
Make sure they actually fit. The footprint is the same but there are little tabs that are in different places between the GS-series and the DVX100A for example. So, I wasn't able to use my GS batteries on my DVX.

A rental house is a great place, they'll no doubt let you try 'em out and just fool around in the store.
Bill Porter is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ventura, California, USA
Posts: 751
it's six of one, half a dozen of the other RE: fake cropping. The res isn't that bad at all in the DVX's squeeze mode, and with the money you save vs. buying an XL2, you can buy the anamorphic lens.

Also check this out, a real live comparison with data (pictures and such):

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/
Bill Porter is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 109
If you are really trying to get a film look with DOF and you plan on using a M2 adapter (www.redrockmicro.com), it will not work with a DVX100a that has an anamorphic adapter. In other words, if you want 16x9 on the DVX100a and you are using the M2, you will have to use "squeeze mode" and the picture will not be as good as an XL2 in 16x9 mode with the same M2.

This is completely irrelevlant if you aren't planning on getting an M2, but this was one of the reasons why I picked an XL2.

Kelly
__________________
-------------------------
Partial Equipment List:
Canon XL2 w/ 20X zoom
Bogen/Manfrotto 516 Pro fluid head
Bogen/Manfrotto 3246 legs
Panasonic PATC7WMS1 7" LCD

PowerMac G5 2.7 GHz
OS X Tiger
2 GB RAM, 400 GB SATA
ATI Radeon 9600
Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD

Final Cut Pro 5.0 Studio
Kelly Wilbur is offline  
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ventura, California, USA
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Wilbur
If you are really trying to get a film look with DOF and you plan on using a M2 adapter (www.redrockmicro.com), it will not work with a DVX100a that has an anamorphic adapter.
Interesting. Why won't it work?
Bill Porter is offline  
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
it's six of one, half a dozen of the other RE: fake cropping. The res isn't that bad at all in the DVX's squeeze mode, and with the money you save vs. buying an XL2, you can buy the anamorphic lens.

Also check this out, a real live comparison with data (pictures and such):

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/
Honestly, I have never read a more biased article in my life. It's so clear they are madly in love with the DVX100.
Michael Maier is offline  
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Enterprise, AL
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Honestly, I have never read a more biased article in my life. It's so clear they are madly in love with the DVX100.
Michael,
What was the name of that website saying the DVX was the best? ;)
__________________
Fear No Weevil!
Patrick King is offline  
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #15
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
Michael,
What was the name of that website saying the DVX was the best? ;)
Exactly. Biased to death. :D

I can't give any credit to that review. The very same things he bashes on the XL2, Adam Wilt praises. Now how will I believe? Wilt or some guy who runs a DVX100 site?
Michael Maier is offline  
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network