Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:53 AM   #136
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph
There was a comment about running the Preset Manager on a Windows compatible PDA, but the problem was that there aren't any PDAs with a firewire port. There are however several, if not close to all of them out there, that operate on a USB port. After searching around, I found a $40 USB/1394 hub at B&H.

----------------
Has anyone actually loaded the program on a PDA? Does it seem to function except for the connection to the XL2?

Any and all feedback appreciated...
Hey Kevin,

I like the enthusiasm here. I had it a while ago when I went to some 3d modeling developers for a mobile 3d solution. Alas, since the Pocket PC PDA is a very different type of Windows, any program need to be compiled specifically for them (unless you run a Java applet). Unless Blue Barn or someone else compiles the tool for PPC, the firewire/usb issue is the least of the problems.

I hope someone figures it out though. I can't wait to try it. Anyone need a beta tester for this?
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #137
Major Player

Maybe this has already been covered, but how exactly do I set the presets. When I select them in the preset menu I see the looks change, but when I back out of the menu my display goes back to normal. This is most apparent in the B&W setting on there. So is there something I have to do to enable my preset?
Matt Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #138
Slash Rules!

Use the buttons on the part of the camera near the tape door, on top, right next to where it says "eject" to select the custom preset you want, and turn it on or off.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #139
Major Player

When this thread popped back up I took another look at the Sony computer I mentioned earlier - the UX series - and it runs Windows Vista Business, not the pocket pc version. So the preset manager would work on this machine - alas, there is still the problem of the price tag...
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #140
Regular Crew

is there a link to download collection of all the presents posted so far?

every link given earlier is this thread is non-existing now , any help would be great

thanks
Wajahat Abbasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #141
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi View Post
is there a link to download collection of all the presents posted so far?

every link given earlier is this thread is non-existing now , any help would be great

thanks
Last post in this thread what you're looking for?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48293
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #142
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Last post in this thread what you're looking for?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48293

yes ! but is there any other resource (link) where i can get more presets?
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #143
Obstreperous Rex

Nope, this is the best, most complete one on the web. What you need to do now is to create your own presets, and share them here, that way you're helping to build the collection.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #144
New Boot

Mac Version

GEE Canon. . .

It' only been 3 years now. . . ya got that Mac Version Done YET?
Jenny Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #145
Inner Circle

Jenny,

Stephen Duke is the designer (as I understand it) of the Blue Barn software.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #146
Regular Crew

its a great tool !!!! .. and i didnt had a PC with Windows XP on it either, but i got one from a friend and got a firewire card in it just to use this presets managers..... Jenny , i would suggest if you have space to keep a mini tower, look around on ebay or craiglist you might get a good XP machine under $50 ... its worth spending for a mangers like this !
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #147
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Morgan View Post
GEE Canon. . .
Canon had nothing to do with the Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager. The Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager was developed by Stephen Duke of Blue Barn Pictures, not Canon.

Quote:
3 years now. . . ya got that Mac Version Done YET?
It should be obvious by now that a Mac version is *not* going to happen, sorry. There is no Mac version of the SDK that made the PC version possible in the first place. And that's certainly not the fault of Stephen Duke or Blue Barn Pictures.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM   #148
Regular Crew

Hi,

regarding Presents.

I have been in trouble deciding what sharpness I should keep the presents at.

Of course different situations requires different presents, but I have been mostly filming for a upcoming doc,
and since al the shots aren't 100% certain to adept to the film, I have been trying some different presents.

Mostly I go with a tweaked DOCUMENTARY presents:

Gamma = Cine
Knee = Low
Black = Press
NR = 0
VDetail = 0
Color Matrix = Cine
Color Gain = 3 / 2
Color Phase = 2 / 1
Red = 2
Green = 0
Blue = 0
SetupLevel = -1
Sharpness = -3 / -2
Coring = 6
MasterPed = +2

Although I find many of my shots to be to saturated, this doesn’t come as a surprise but I find it hard to choose the right amount of colour, to much or a bit less?
Regarding the sharpness, I'm double, off course you want 35mm/digital cam sharpness, but often I feel that a bow +0 is leaning the image to artefacts (don’t know the proper word), lines appear etc. With sharpness brought down towards -2 / -3 there’s better regarding the lines. But should one go lower? Like -4 / -5?

Here I post some examples, 1 is a macro shot with tripod (somehow, I feel that the resolution appears higher with a tripod) with the 16X manual lens and al other shots are from the manual also. 2 is shot with in 4:3 mode and here I believe the sharpness and colour are working out fine. I will post some more later. I'm a student in film, there is much to learn. But any feedback is welcomed!

Please tell what gain and sharpness you prefer, it will really help me decide.
I also love the Blue Barn tool.

Best,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread-1.jpg   Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread-2.jpg  

Last edited by David Odell; August 2nd, 2008 at 01:55 AM.
David Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #149
Booth Monkey

Wow, over three years and still going.

Jenny, Canon officially only released an SDK for the PC. They were working with a mac software house based out west for the mac SDK, and demoed it at NAB some time back, but as far as I'm aware it was never released. So, alas, I never ported the Presets App over.

If you are using a mac (like me), then (if it is an intel version), dual boot the system and run the presets software on the window portion (like me). You can also do this for the Canon controller software.

steve
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #150
Tourist

I know I'm missing something...Newbie!!

Hello everyone!!
First post on a great forum!!!
Just purchased a Xl2 last week as an upgrade from a GL2 for shooting my highschool football games. As expected the footage was a bit "bland". I was going to try some different presets and then saw the Blue Barn Custom preset software. I had to download the manager a bit differently as I'm running Vista on my internet computer. I downloaded the manager and preset onto a flash drive, and then downloaded them onto my other comp which is running XP with SP3. Everything went perfect and the download to the camera with the manager and drivers was complete.

Now for the nubie problem.
How do I get the individual preset into the camera????? I've been following the manual on pages 70-72 and I must be doing something wrong.
On page 72 where it says to go to "read preset" I can't open that area of the menu. It is always the purple color which must mean that that particular function is not turned on.
For the life of me I cannot figure how do to turn that function on.
And then how do I download the preset into the cam?

I know that I'm just overlooking something simple, but then it's the simple things that baffle me!!!
Paul Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders