Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #106

Shervin, I owe you and apology.

Honestly, I did run an update. Something told me to go back and try again. For some reason SP2 had not gotten loaded. I ran another update and it started loading SP2 and, yes, that did fix the problem.

Again, I apologize.

So much for being 100%, absolutley, positivley sure!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Hey Jay,

Everyone makes mistakes my friend, no need for an apology, even if they are 100% absolutley positivley correct!

So I guess that this concludes that the problem with the run time error when loading your presets on your camera is due to an old version of windows and requires a complete installation of all windows updates.

Thank god! :-)
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
I have used it and love it.

I am curious how the XL2 responds when in Ext. Ctrl mode. I had the software connected through firewire and also had the XL2 connected to the production monitor via S-video. It appears that in EXT. CTRL mode acts like it is in auto mode. I played with changing settings on the fly and updating the presets and the camera would update and reflect the changes as I submitted them from the software.

However the XL2 defaults to 4x3, 60i and autogain and who knows what color balance.. The changes I made looked different when I went back to manual mode. Unfortunately this makes on the fly adjustments impossible from the software, unless someone else has an idea to work around this.

Other than that it is a great tool.
Was anyone able to figure out how to get the preset to stay the same anytime the knob is switched back to the Manual mode??
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #109
New Boot

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, I have searched the threads and havent found the answer yet. Has the Blue Barn software been updated for Mac yet? Or has anyone out there used it on an Intel Mac through boot camp?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom
Tom York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #110
New Boot

blue barns preset manager problems...

i've been having an issue using the blue barn manager. i installed it correctly (as far as i know), but when i hook my camera up the system and try to pick a preset (or whatever), there's a short delay and then a window pops up indicating an error's occured. then, the whole site shuts down. i've read over a couple of threads where people have talked about having this exact same issue and they discovered the problem was that they realized they hadn't let the blue barn driver know it could install on their camera, so they updated this to remedy the problem.

does this mean anything to you guys? have no idea what i may need to update, but i'd really like to figure it out so i can start messing around w/ blue barn.

thanks.

PD
Peter Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dukes
does this mean anything to you guys? have no idea what i may need to update, but i'd really like to figure it out so i can start messing around w/ blue barn.

PD
Peter

It simply means that you need to do WINDOWS UPDATE on your PC. This can be done by clicking on START then CONTROL PANEL. From the CONTROL PANE, click on AUTOMATIC UPDATES. Then click on Windows update website link to open the Microsoft Update site to do the updates. Make sure you have online connection. Don't forget to restart your PC after updating.
Connect the firewire cable, switch your XL2 to EXT. CONT. mode and then start the Blue Barn Manager. Have fun.
Eb
Eb Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM   #112
New Boot

eb,

followed your instructions. turns out my microsoft already automatically updates my computer every night. still, i restarted my computer (just in case), connected my camera, turned it to EXT CONT, and opened up blue barns. same thing. well, this time i was actually allowed to save custom settings, but the site would still shut down if i tried to choose one of the presets (1, 2 or 3) at the top of the page. this may be because i am not fully understanding what the manager is supposed to do for you, but i have to manually type in each setting before saving it. i can't (unless i'm doing it wrong) download custom presets from my camera to blue barns, or vice versa. at this point, it works only as a glamorized presets folder. i still have to manually type a custom preset into my canon if i want to mess with it. argg!! earlier, someone had mentioned uninstalling, then re-installing the file. i guess i'll give that a try.

thanks for your advice. if any other ideas pop into your head, or something i'm doing in the paragraph above strikes you as incorrect, please let me know. would love to get the most out of this manager.

PD
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM   #113
New Boot

Had another thought Peter.

How many firewire ports do you have on your computer and how are they configured (i.e. are they built in or or fitted in an expansion pci slot at the back of your pc ?).

Maybe you could try a different firewire port if you have more than 1. I know you're able to use the XL2 with other software using this firewire port, but some software code acts differently in how it reads external interfaces etc. An example being the Canon Console software. It kept saying my XL2 was not connected, yet I could connect to Serious Magic's DV Rack and Sony Vegas 6 capture software using the same port. I had three seperate firewire ports in pci slots at the back of my pc. Changing to a different one resolved the issue.

Just another thought.

Good Luck.

Allan
Allan Beecroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM   #114
New Boot

Hey Ash,
I shoot football on a regular basis, so I've loaded what I believe is your "sports" preset onto my XL2, and I had a couple of questions about some of the settings in there. First of all I was curious why you reduced the "sharpness". Is that to improve motion? I had normally increased my sharpness slightly, so I found it interesting that you had it lowered. Second, I noticed that you slated that preset for 30p shooting. I'm not sure what kind sports you use that preset for, but do you find it difficult to follow the action with the stuttering that occurs in 30p? I've found it difficult to follow fast moving action such as the the ball in the air in 30 or 24 mode. Is it something you've just gotten used to? Thanks.
Dan Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #115
Major Player

Dan--

Just thought I'd point out that a shutter speed of 60 Hz in 30p will give you a nice motion blur that will mitigate the "stuttering" of the motion somewhat.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #116
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Beecroft
Had another thought Peter.

How many firewire ports do you have on your computer and how are they configured (i.e. are they built in or or fitted in an expansion pci slot at the back of your pc ?).

Maybe you could try a different firewire port if you have more than 1. I know you're able to use the XL2 with other software using this firewire port, but some software code acts differently in how it reads external interfaces etc. An example being the Canon Console software. It kept saying my XL2 was not connected, yet I could connect to Serious Magic's DV Rack and Sony Vegas 6 capture software using the same port. I had three seperate firewire ports in pci slots at the back of my pc. Changing to a different one resolved the issue.

Just another thought.

Good Luck.

Allan

allan, thanks for the tip. i'll try that. if that doesn't work, i may have to just bury my head in my lap, sob, then get over it. quick question. what's the canon console software? i've heard a few people bring that up. do i need that for blue barn to work correctly?
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #117
New Boot

Hi Peter,

No, you don't need Canon Console for the pre-sets manager. It's basically a piece of software that interfaces with the XL2 to give you control over many functions from the PC. I quite like it as at the moment, I'm useless at steady shots. Everytime I use the focus or zoom, I get quite a bit of jitter in the picture (even with the optical Image Stabalizer). Probably coz my tripod is crap :-)

A lot of my shooting will be tripod based so I'll invest in a good one. Having said that, the Console software gives you full control over a lot of parameters (focus, zoom, color gain, aperture, shutter etc, etc without touching the camera. I also capture a lot directly to pc, so the monitor and scopes in the software help me a lot. I use the camera a lot without the software, but sometimes, it's great for me to have for some of the work which means not having to go in the menu of the camera and set knobs and dials etc.

You can check out the software here and get a trial version:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=10350

Check the minimum requirements before you install it because it is pretty CPU intensive. It's worth trying, but it's not for everyone.

Good luck with the pre-sets manager.

Allan
Allan Beecroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #118
New Boot

run-time error

when i use this preset manager ,this is what happen :

run-time error -2147467259 (80004005)':

what this mean ?
Dan Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #119
Tourist

Mac version?

First of all, thanks for your hard work on developing this application! I love the idea of software integration into a production workflow.
I think I've read through this thread pretty thoroughly, so forgive me if I missed the announcement...but has anyone managed to port this for OS X?
Paul Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Apple did it for you

Just by an Intel mac and off you go!

:-)
David Calvin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders