Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread

In case you haven't seen it yet, check out the XL2 Presets Manager software (free to registered DV Info Net members). Sorry but it's for Windows XP at this time; expect a Mac version to follow soon.
Now that you've downloaded it and played with it for awhile, what do you think about it?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Mac version?

How's that Mac version coming?

I'd be interested in trying some of these out. Thanks
Tim Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Booth Monkey

Tim,

I havent received the kit for the mac yet. When I do, I'll create the same thing.

steve
Stephen Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4
Wrangler

Ok, the cat's out of the bag. Hats off to Steve Duke for making this application available to us. I am honored to have been allowed to test the software ahead of time.

So come on fellow XL-2 owners, show us your presets!

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #5

Thanks, Steve! You, too, Chris. Excellent article!

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Steve did a great service for all XL2 users! And you will recognize a couple of the clips on the Blue Barn Pictures website. Check them out and show Steve your appreciation for so many long hours of programming to provide us a FREE utility to make our XL2 lives easier.

I've loved using this program during testing. The great features Steve put in it are the capability to:
1. Load presets stored in your camera
2. Create presets on your computer
3. Save presets to your computer
4. Save presets to your camera

Chris included all the Presets I had captured from various threads on this forum here: XL2 Presets

Since these are simple text files save in a specific format the XL2 Manager recognizes, just post a preset in the XL2 Presets forum like listed below and anyone can copy it to Notepad and 'Save As..." to name it with a ".bbp" extension and then open in their XL2 Presets application.

[Presets]
Preset Name = TechniC
Gamma = 1
Knee = 1
Black = 2
NR = 0
VDetail = 0
Color Matrix = 1
Color Gain = 4
Color Phase = 0
Red = 2
Green = 3
Blue = -2
SetupLevel = 0
Sharpness = 0
Coring = 0
MasterPed = 0
Description = Barry Green SuperPolarized Technicolor Dream:

Don't bother typing all this out, just create the preset in the utility, open the preset you save to your computer in Notepad, copy the text and paste it into your post. Life is good!

Kudos Steve Duke and Blue Barn Pictures!!! Chris, thanks for hosting this!
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Major Player

MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION! MAC VERSION!

please......
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

Ok Matthew, we get the idea. Did you not read Steve's comment about not having the OSX SDK yet? See, that's why I have both platforms in my house. I get the best of both worlds.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

For those of you who are using the software, how do you like it?

Old July 26th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

i might be retarded, slow, or missed a read, but what is this preset?
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
For those of you who are using the software, how do you like it?
It's excellant. Just the preset renaming alone is a great feature, being able to assign a meaninful title to a preset. This software now means that any setup can be saved & loaded at ease and be able to see the actual numbers rather than the slider presented on the camera itself.

Future feature maybe, being able to store the rest of the camera settings (even if this is just meta data stored in human readable form) such as frame mode, aspect ratio, shutter, etc so you can maintain a list of camera setups. I know we all do this anyway :)

Good work.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Luke
i might be retarded, slow, or missed a read, but what is this preset?
Robert,
Do you have an XL2? On the XL2, Canon has provided the capability to store and recall three "Presets". Each "Preset" contains the user selectable values for 15 camera parameters, such as Gamma, Knee, Black, Color Matrix, Coring, and ten others. Until now, XL2 owners had to create and maintain their "Presets" in the camera, possibly writing them down for future use if they wanted to create/use a new one. Steve's application permits us to have our computer read and store the "Presets" so that we can maintain an entire library of "looks" available to download to the camera to suit our needs. "Presets" are discussed on pages 66 through 72 of the XL2 user manual.

Last edited by Patrick King; July 27th, 2005 at 07:59 AM.
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Great description there, Patrick! And in case anybody missed it the first time:

Old July 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #14
Trustee

I have used it and love it.

I am curious how the XL2 responds when in Ext. Ctrl mode. I had the software connected through firewire and also had the XL2 connected to the production monitor via S-video. It appears that in EXT. CTRL mode acts like it is in auto mode. I played with changing settings on the fly and updating the presets and the camera would update and reflect the changes as I submitted them from the software.

However the XL2 defaults to 4x3, 60i and autogain and who knows what color balance.. The changes I made looked different when I went back to manual mode. Unfortunately this makes on the fly adjustments impossible from the software, unless someone else has an idea to work around this.

Other than that it is a great tool.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

That's a fair comment, Marty. That's why I've tried to position this software as a management tool more than a creative tool. You're still much better off actually creating the preset in the camera. The Presets Manager application is a great solution for maintaining and updating a library of favorite presets.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders