Secrets of Shooting Great DV workshop featuring the XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Tourist

Secrets of Shooting Great DV workshop featuring the XL2

On Saturday, August 27th, DVcreators.net is bringing their renowned "Secrets of Shooting Great DV" workshop back to Los Angeles.

This workshop will make a huge impact in the quality of your final DV projects: the quality of your final project is 100% dependent on the quality of your original footage, and at this workshop we reveal a treasure trove of clever and innovative secrets, techniques, tips and tricks for getting world class results from DV camcorders, lighting, mics and accessories. The camcorder that we'll use in the workshop is the Canon XL2.

The workshop will be led by Greg Salman, an LA-based cinematographer that created the "Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2" DVD and who is often seen working the Canon booth at trade shows.

DATE: Saturday, August 27, 2005

TIME: 10:30 am - 6:00 pm

PLACE: MacMall Santa Monica
(upstairs training room; free parking at the store)
1505 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90403
310-394-7779

For more info, or to register, click here:

http://dvcreators.net/events/

or call:

800-965-3976
Duncan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Trustee

That DVD IMHO is only helpful to newbies with little to no experience. I dont know how many people I know bought it only to find out, they learned nothing. Granted there is no substitute for learning in person but you can learn 90% of what you pay $250 for, on these forums for free.

I have been offerred numerous times to do these kinds of things as an instructor but generally they are overpriced with generic info taught by someone with marginal skills...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I know what you mean Ash, but in this case the instructor's skills are far beyond marginal. I've known Greg Salman for several years, and there's a reason why Canon keeps inviting him to work their booth at trade shows. Greg has a tremendous capacity for clear and concise explanations. What a person gets from a $250 seminar from DV Creators is a full package of tightly focused, concentrated instruction. You're probably right about being able to get the same information here for free, but you have to dig it up and assimilate it on your own. For the person who does not have the time or the effort to wade through the largest XL2 message board on the planet, the DV Creators class taught by Greg Salman is an excellent, viable alternative.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Trustee

My comments were meant to be more general but I dont know many people who have been real happy with that DVD. I do think this event is being oversold when it says the impact will be HUGE and DRAMATIC. The main thing was there was someone who is not part of this community coming in to advertise, just made me raise an eyebrow... Also, as you know, I am very open about everything I know and I HATE when stuff is marketed as a "secret" that you are being let in on. I have twice been asked to write a book on the XL series but the offers went away when I said I would only do it for non-profit...

ash =o)
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I've never been a fan of hyperbole either. I just wanted to say that I do know Greg Salman personally. Having spent many a long hour with him behind the Canon booth at various trade shows, I can attest to his ability to teach.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Trustee

That's good... it is my personal feeling that if you need the basics, then the XL2 is not really the camera for you BUT if you do need the basics and try to take it on, a good teacher is a must as the XL2 is not really intuitive for the most part.

ash =o)
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
... it is my personal feeling that if you need the basics, then the XL2 is not really the camera for you...
I'll give that a big AMEN!

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #8
DV Creators

I just wanted to add that hardly any of the class will focus on XL2 features, it is mostly about lighting, composition/cinematography, location sound, and general production training unrelated to the XL2 specifically.

Also, the class is not an advanced course aimed at working professionals, but for more editors and beginning shooters who need a crash course in shooting stuff that looks and sounds good- especially for folks who have not done much lighting or location audio.

And you are right, there is too much hyperbole language in the post, but along with film-school type production training we add tips and "secrets" most people don't know, like recording a mono shotgun mic onto both channels with one channel hotter than the other so that if the talent yells and distorts, you always have the other lower level channel to fall back on. Making a cookie out of black wrap, lifting someone's glasses up off their ears to reduce glare, that kind of thing.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to let folks know about it, it seems we should have posted in the Announcements forum, but thanks to you all for your hospitality.
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Tourist

Thanks for all of the responses.

I'll try to keep this response concise. Any hyperbole in the event notice was only meant to hopefully encourage someone to read more about the event, think about their own skills and decide whether they would gain anything from attending.

I, too, felt funny about coming in as an "outsider", having been to the site very infrequently, and never having registered before I wanted to post this event. I guess we all have to start somewhere, and I probably should have introduced myself first, asked a couple of questions, and answered a couple, and then posted this event.

I debated between the announcements section and the XL2 section, and in hindsight it appears that Announcements would have been better (and less inflammatory perhaps, since the XL2 Watchdog forum appears more geared to experienced camerapeople and Announcements covers everyone from novice to guru). As a "tourist" I can't move it, but if the Kennelmaster returns or another admin, perhaps they would be kind enough to move it to a better home.

Thanks again.

Duncan

Last edited by Duncan McFarland; August 4th, 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Duncan McFarland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders