DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   help..help..help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/48946-help-help-help.html)

Sid Ahmed August 7th, 2005 09:04 AM

help..help..help

Hello all ,
i`m very new to the xl2 and my first problem is i can`t get an audio out of the camcorder when i play it back on the vcr mode...i tried to hook a headphone during the shooting too but still can`t get any audio..any suggestions?
thanx

Mike Teutsch August 7th, 2005 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Ahmed
Hello all ,
i`m very new to the xl2 and my first problem is i can`t get an audio out of the camcorder when i play it back on the vcr mode...i tried to hook a headphone during the shooting too but still can`t get any audio..any suggestions?
thanx

You need to explain your set-up first. Do you have a mic plugged in and if so where? Do you get a signal in the audio monitor window? Sounds like your settings are wrong for audio.

If you are using the regular on-board mic, make sure that audio one is set to Mic or Mic Att. Look at your audio monitor.

Mike

Sid Ahmed August 7th, 2005 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
You need to explain your set-up first. Do you have a mic plugged in and if so where? Do you get a signal in the audio monitor window? Sounds like your settings are wrong for audio.

If you are using the regular on-board mic, make sure that audio one is set to Mic or Mic Att. Look at your audio monitor.

Mike

Thanx Mike for replying..yes i do have a front mic plugged in ....on it`s socket and i do get 2 line of signal on my monitor and it moving and it says CH1/2 ..i use only one mic on front...i set FRONT MIC ATT. to ATT. and INPUT SELECT to FRONT MIC and REC LEVEL to A..
thanx again Mike

James Emory August 7th, 2005 02:10 PM

Sounds like a bad set of headphones or a bad audio out jack. Have you tested the headphones on another device or do those headphones possibly have their own in-line volume control? If you're getting meter readings, you should hear something from that output in playback or camera mode.

Sid Ahmed August 7th, 2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
Sounds like a bad set of headphones or a bad audio out jack. Have you tested the headphones on another device or do those headphones possibly have their own in-line volume control? If your getting meter readings, you should hear something from that output.

Hi James ,
Thanx for replying...u made my day...i didn`t know that the only way to get a sound is through the headphones..i have changed the headphone set and now i`m getting sound finally..u was right the old headphone set isn`t working ..but still seems to me it`s kinda low sound even though the audio bars on the screen hits it`s limits...and i do have get much closer to my subject to get a louder sound..is that normal ? and last question..is there any way i could get a sound without hooking a headphone to the camcorder or any other device?
thanx again

James Emory August 7th, 2005 02:47 PM

I noticed that you said you had the camera mic set at ATT 20. That is only needed for environments that are louder than normal to give you more head room without having to ride the levels. Turn the ATT 20 off or to normal MIC for your external and make sure that the internal menu is set to mic as well if using an external stick mic or shotgun other than the stock camera mic to get normal audio input. Also make sure that the little phones level adjustment by the jack is not turned down too far. This should give you normal sound in your headphones but go by your meters and not the headphones for getting perfect sound.

Sid Ahmed August 7th, 2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
I noticed that you said that you had camera mic set at ATT 20. That is only needed for environments that are louder than normal to give you more head room without having to ride the levels. Turn the ATT 20 off or to normal MIC for your external and make sure that the internal menu is set to mic as well if using an external stick mic or shotgun other than the stock camera mic to get normal audio input. Also make sure that the little phones level adjustment by the jack is not turned down too far. This should give you normal sound in your headphones.

James..everything working very well..thanx to u...and u too Mike.
thanx

Mike Teutsch August 7th, 2005 04:15 PM

Sid,

I'm glad it is alright now. I miss-read the first post and thought you were getting no sound out when down loading the tapes, missed the VCR mode part.

Best of luck and keep posting.

Mike