Parts availability-Xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Parts availability-Xl2

Howdy, okay I plunked down my cash and bought the camera. When I took it in to get it cleaned the techs told me that parts are only available for these cameras for seven years. I was floored.

I sent an email to Canon and the tech there couldn't give me a date when parts would no longer be manufactured by Canon. But he said since the camera was within its "service life'' they would be available for a long time. I then asked him how long the "service life" was. He couldn't give me a specific date either!

So, my question is just how long will parts be available for such a camera? I would think knowing this would be critical in buying a significantly more expense camera. I mean buying an HD for say 10k with the potential of parts availabilty being only 7 years gives one pause, don't you think?

And, do the other manufactures only provide parts for such a short period of time also?

Gary
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Trustee

I feel your pain, and was just this morning wondering how long it will be possible to have tape based cameras serviced as I have just bought a new HV40 to go with my XHA1.

When you think about it in context, the XL2 was introduced about 7 years ago as a follow-on from the XL1 which was about 7 years before that, so the dynasty is abut 14 years old now. In terms of optical equipment and still cameras, that's peanuts right enough, but in terms of electronics it is rather a loooong time.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Seven years sounds pretty good - I'm betting a lot of consumer cams don't have manufacturer's parts backup beyond four years, though I've no proof of this. Of course parts can wait on independent's shelves a lot longer than 7 years, but the fact remains that cameras depreciate hugely because of this one fact alone.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, well that's my first big lesson. But is there a camera service center that is known for servicing older cameras. Comparing having older cars fixed, many service companies exist that continue to supply parts for cars that have not been manufactured for decades. They even have 3rd parties that supply them with boards for iginition timing etc.

gary
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Seven years is standard, and that's because it's mandated by law. I wouldn't sweat it too much because no doubt you'll be moving up to HD well within seven years. Those who are shooting HD now will most likely transition to UHD (Ultra High Definition at 3K to 5K resolution) within seven years. Frankly you shouldn't hang on to this gear for any longer than just a few years anyway. It should pay for itself a couple of times over, and then you move up to your next camera. That seven years of parts availability is roughly twice the normal usable lifespan of a video camera and that's defined primarily by obsolescence more than anything else.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Wrangler

Believe it is seven years past the date the model is discontinued. That is what they did with the XL1, and the XL1S is likely near that point.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #7
New Boot

XL2 Parts

Is there a website that I can order parts from. I bought a used XL2 and I need the Adapter holder and Lens and Camcorder dust covers.
Kevin Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #8
New Boot

Re: Parts availability-Xl2

Found The answer 1 800 OKCANON
Kevin Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders