DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is there anyone buying XL-2'S? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/491235-there-anyone-buying-xl-2s.html)

Matt Williams February 4th, 2011 08:55 AM

Is there anyone buying XL-2'S?

I have one and have been thinking about selling it is there a market for these great old cameras?

Dennis Hingsberg February 4th, 2011 11:18 AM

Any idea how much you want for it?

I use to shoot with the XL series, then went to HVX. I miss the XL days, but mainly I was shooting with 35mm adapters so ergonimically the XL made sense to me.

Gary Badgley February 6th, 2011 12:04 PM

Great old camera

I just bought one. I am just starting out in cinematography, and I think this is a fanstastic tool to be learning on.

The only issue I have with it is how I´m going to view my clips. I have a Sharp Acquos HD LCD TV and I´m not sure how my video will show on this monitor. I understand that sometimes SD does not show well on HD TV´s. So I may have to look around to find a monitor that I can get good quality SD Images.

Tony Davies-Patrick February 10th, 2011 04:42 PM

SD from the XL2 can also very easily be up-rezzed to 720P and looks nice to the eye, even on a HD monitor.

Gary Badgley February 11th, 2011 08:47 AM

To 720P

Hi Tony, okay great, but begs the question. How do I do that?

gary

Tarik Peterson February 11th, 2011 04:10 PM

How much are you asking for it. My church would possibly be interested, but being a church funds would be rather limited.

Tony Davies-Patrick February 15th, 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Badgley (Post 1617084)
Hi Tony, okay great, but begs the question. How do I do that?

gary

Most modern editing software packages provide an easy option to down-rez or up-rez the original files with the click of a button.

Gary Badgley February 15th, 2011 11:04 AM

Up res.

Yes, I should have searched the web before I asked. Cheers.

Kevin Young February 16th, 2011 12:29 AM

XL2 Price

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Williams (Post 1614553)
I have one and have been thinking about selling it is there a market for these great old cameras?

I just bought one for $1125.00 and that is cheap compared to most offered on the web. The average price I see is $1600.00

Daniel Miller March 13th, 2011 07:13 PM

Re: Is there anyone buying XL-2'S?

Ya I am seeing them for 1200- 2000, just depending on what it comes with and stuff.

Manny Felarca December 11th, 2012 08:37 AM

I see them on sale at Craigslist, and I've bought 2 of them from there for $1000 each. They still get heavy use from me. I think you can sell yours still, but don't expect to get the same value for it as when new.

Paul Lezica January 1st, 2013 02:41 AM

Prices seem to range quite a bit it seems. I picked up my XL2 bundle for around $1000 on ebay, and then the 3X wide angle lens for another ~$300. I see camera and stock lens auctions going for 1000-1600 around ebay.

Terry Wall January 1st, 2013 12:26 PM

I continue to be (pleasantly) reassured that keeping my XL2 ain't a bad idea, and this string just validates the point. I have always liked the imagery this camera has produced--HD be damned, so it will stay in the inventory! ;-) And while I know about the argument of "chips vs tape," I've got a TON of the pro-level Panasonic tapes that I picked up last year--before the sources started drying up, so I'll be fine for the foreseeable future!

Paul Lezica January 2nd, 2013 05:08 AM

I'm quite happy with my XL2 as a starting point to learn more about video. If it ever stops working or my needs start requiring HD, I'll make the larger investment at that time.

Manny Felarca January 3rd, 2013 11:11 PM

I do a lot of sports videos (high school), and when shooting in broad daylight, I use my XL-2's. I even use them for football games (there's quite a bit of light on the field) and basketball/volleyball inside the gym. With proper lighting, this camera works extremely well, and there are just moments when I watch a DVD, from a video made with this camera, and it's hard to believe that it isn't HD, especially now that most Blue Ray DVD players will up the resolution of regular DVD to near HD.