Saturated, crushed black look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Saturated, crushed black look

Hi

As I wade through the posts, Ash Greyson has provided the settings for a Crushed black look. There is no explanation as to what this look is. I donīt have a clue. Could someone please describe what this look is?

Thks,

Gary
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

This is when the blacks are really black, effectively losing all the detail in the dark areas of the image. I personally think this screams video and makes the image look more cartoonish and flat. This is easily achieved in post. It's alway best to shoot with as much dynamic range (as much detail in dark and light areas of the image) as possible and achieve the look you want in post. Once you crush the blacks in camera, you can never have them back. Crushing them a bit in post is easy and you have more control over it, and it's reversible. Stay away from these extreme camera settings. You'll thank me later....
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Saturated, crushed black look.

Thanks for the info!
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

In my opinion this is not true.

Well, you can shoot flat, and change contrast/colors/whatever in post, but you can't reach the same result that you can get using a custom preset. At least this is what i experienced, especially with night/low light situations.
Two years ago i shot a 45 min "short", the director did not trust me and wanted to shoot flat and color corrected in post. In the end, when it was screened at a theater with some other videos he was'nt happy because our work did not look good as the others.... the blacks wheren't blacks but noisy grey.

So, most of the time i use a preset. In case i'm not sure, i spoke with the director (or who hired me) and ask if he like this way.
But the best thing is that you try by yourself the diffrence and see if you can get the same result.
Michele Coser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. Just my opinion.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

In fact... the best thing is to try and see what process give the best results.
Michele Coser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Saturated, crushed black look

Further, I have to say I am also against the "super flat" settings, as well – the settings, mostly popular on DSLRs, that push the image beyond a normal flat setting. I think they introduce as many problems as shooting super contrasty.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders