lens making sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #1
New Boot

lens making sound

I want to some informtion regrading the XL 2 pal which i bought a few days back.
When i switch on the camera to [A}, i hear some mechanical sound in
the lens like ( Kitik, Ktik...Ktik) apart from the noise of movement of
lens and then the camera shows the picture in the veiw finder.Along
with this if i look into the lens while switching on the power.The internal lens optics move back and then comes to the same position and there is shiver in this process inside the lens .This happens only at the initial power on for a couple of seconds and then the camera shoots perfectly.
I removed the lens and then switched the camera on .There was no
sound.I presume that the sound is coming from the lens. Is this
normal? Is is sofeware corrupt.Or did i buy a wrong peice.
Hope to get replies from new XL users as well.
Thanks
Dharma Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Dharma,

The sound you hear in the lens is simply the various mechanisms inside going through a calibration procedure. This always occurs on initial power-up and is quite normal -- nothing to worry about. All is well with your camera. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris ,
I already got your reply regarding this .So the sound part is no more a worryI would appreciate if you could tell more about the shiver which i see in the lens during initial start up.Why does the lens move back and then come back to its initial position shivering. Thanks again for looking ito this.
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Well I'll check my sources on that lens travel. Rest assured though that *all* of 'em do it -- your camera is behaving just like every other XL2 ever made. In other words, there's no problem associated with what you're seeing in the lens on power-up. I'm not geeky enough to know why exactly it does that (beyond the generic "calibration" answer), but I'll try to find out for you.

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I used to work with CNC, Computer Numeric Controlled equipment, such as industrial milling machines.

The first thing all of these servo controlled devices have to do during start-up, is to find "Home." They have to know where they are before they can go anywhere. There is a limit switch somewhere just past the limit of movement or travel. Once that limit is reached, the servo knows where it is, then it moves to a predetermined start location. You might find that each time you turn on the camera, that the focus, zoom, and iris are at the same location each time.

Just for your thought.

Mike
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Awesome answer, Mike! That's it. Much appreciated,

Old August 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Chris & Mike,
I am now confident that my camera is perfectly ok. Mike's explanation about the servo devices is exactly what the lens does.
I had discussed the same topic with the Canon service guys in India and they could nt give me a confident answer to it. They started suggesting a software problem and i am sure they have never bothered to see into the lens or hearing the sound in the lens.And further suggested that if one buys the camera and lens seperately, there is compatibality problems.Is it true?
I presume XL2 is still new for them in India.

Sincerly
Dharma Singh
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
...suggested that if one buys the camera and lens seperately, there is compatibality problems. Is it true?
Absolutely FALSE. The whole point behind the XL2 is its interchangeable lens system, and any other lens you buy would be a separate purchase, wouldn't it? The XL2 doesn't care which XL lens is mounted on it. Mix and match, trade with friends, swap out those lenses to your heart's content.

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #9
New Boot

I think the lens "shivers" and shakes like that only when the lens has the image stabilizer switch on (?) That is why I never use the image stabilizer.
Ben Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hurst
I think the lens "shivers" and shakes like that only when the lens has the image stabilizer switch on (?) That is why I never use the image stabilizer.
Yes Ben,

That would be why it 'shivers' at power up. The VAP is being initialized by the IS gyros at power up. Why would this keep you from using the image stabilizer?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I think the lens "shivers" and shakes like that only when the lens has the image stabilizer switch on (?)
Sorry, incorrect -- the "shiver and shake" happens at initial power-up regardless of whether the image stabilizer switch is on or off, or whether the focus is set to manual or auto. Simply put, this calibration process occurs every time at power-up, no matter what buttons or switches you've pressed on the lens. It's very much a standard, normal part of the camera's power-up procedure.

Quote:
That is why I never use the image stabilizer.
I'm as confused as Greg Boston is by this statement. Why would this keep you from using your stabilizer?

If the lens movement does *not* happen at power-up, then that would be cause for concern. It would indicate that something isn't working right, and that you have either a sick XL2 or a broken 20x lens in your hands.

To recap:

20x lens elements move on initial power-up: GOOD
20x lens elements do NOT move on power-up: BAD

16x manual lens: no OIS, no AF on that lens, so no movement on power-up.

Hoping this helps,

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #12
New Boot

Sorry, correction: that shiver is not why I don't use the image stabilizer, I don't use the image stabilizer at all...period. I don't like it. Plus I was born with steadicam© hands and arms.
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Ben. Can you please explain what you don't like about the IS? I'm not challenging you or anything, I am just very curious about what effect the IS is giving that you prefer not to have. For example, on my Sony VX2000, I sometimes get jerkiness due to the IS when I try to do a slow pan, but I haven't noticed this on the XL2 so far.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #14
New Boot

you know, I haven't really given it a great test. When I have had it on in the past, there is a delay when I pan around, kind of a slight drag and I think it throws off the smooth movement that I like to control myself. I'll try it out on some more tests and get back to you.
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter
. For example, on my Sony VX2000, I sometimes get jerkiness due to the IS when I try to do a slow pan, but I haven't noticed this on the XL2 so far.

Richard
Hi Richard, is it true that the XL2 can do panning in IS mode on tripod without the jerkiness like the XL1s does?
Terry Yuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders