DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   expensive matte boxes less expensive. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/49469-expensive-matte-boxes-less-expensive.html)

Robert Luke August 16th, 2005 10:45 PM

expensive matte boxes less expensive.

so i see the chrozziel matte box recently dropped in price. still damn expensive, but cheaper is good.

Robert Luke August 17th, 2005 08:19 PM

i might have to say nevermind now. i checked again and the prices went back up to the normal price. maybe it was there happy tuesday sale.?

Joe Winchester August 18th, 2005 08:38 AM

I recently got the Chroziel Matte box and follow focus. Yeah, it was freakin' EXPENSIVE! But, it's made extremely well and definitely a very useful tool to add.

I see you're in Austin. I'm considering attending UT to get my MFA in film. How do you like the city? Do you live downtown?

Thanks!

Robert Luke August 20th, 2005 10:51 PM

Yo. That's coo that you like the mattebox.
two questions:
how easy is it to cange lenses.
does it work well with the 3x wide angle lens
are the schneider filters by century optics compatable with the matte box

okay so that was three. i lied.

i live in north austin. currently i'm living in the house i grew up in so i can raise (save) money for equipment and productions (till january or march. i film a feature in march)
but central austin is pretty cool and i assume fun to live in. you can find a nice deal on a duplex sometimes.
didn't go to UT though. i went to UNO but i'm not really a fan of film school but everyone has their own thing.

Robert Luke August 20th, 2005 10:56 PM

ah ha. it didn't drop in price at all. i clicked on the sunshade instead of mattebox.

so uh... what's the difference between the matte box and sunshade, yo?

Giuseppe Palumbo August 21st, 2005 01:03 AM

You cant put filters in a sunshade.

Joe Winchester August 21st, 2005 07:53 PM

the sunshade has 2 filter holders that take 4"x4" filters. I use a circular polarizer in there. it was like $250 buck tho... so big glass filter are alot of money.

it is moderatley difficult to change lenses with the follow focus installed. without it it is much easier. you just loosen the ring that holds the lens to the matte box and slide the box forward and take the lens off.

i dont have the 3x lens but i assume it works. i have the 16x manual and the 20x....it comes with a step up ring for the lens. it is a 72mm screw-on that steps it up to connect to the matte box which is like 105mm or something. i don't know the exact measurement, but it's certainly enough for the century optics wide angle adapter, which is 95mm i believe. You would need the support rods, however, as the front of the wide angle adapter doesn't screw into the matte box, just slide into the retaining ring.

i know it's confusing, so let me take a photo tomorrow and i'll show you :P

Robert Luke August 22nd, 2005 12:53 PM

well the chrosziel mattebox and the sunshade both hold filters. still can't see a difference.

Joe Winchester August 22nd, 2005 03:01 PM

I'm not sure of any differences, it's hard to figure out on the website:

http://www.16x9inc.com

Robert Luke August 22nd, 2005 10:53 PM

still confused. i emailed 16x9 and i got this reply.

"Hello Robert,
Basically the Chrosziel line is separated into two categories of systems. The sunshade systems are clamp on systems that do not necessarily need to be supported on rods. In most case these systems you are able to add an additional piece called a center bracket to make them compatible to support rods . The mattebox systems are rod based systems. In the case of the systems for the Canon XL We offer our basic 411-50 clamp on 4x4 sunshade system or options for rod support and follow focus system.
I hope this helps .
Regards,
Jeff Giordano"

i couldn't figure out what the difference was, still.

they can both be supported by rods (which looks cooler, and sadly enough is important)
i was hoping to put side wings ont he mattebox or sunshade. any thoughts?

Doug Boze August 22nd, 2005 11:47 PM

And what, exactly, do the rods do for you? Hmmm... I'm using a sliding filter, bellows shade, and rotating circular polarizer (which limits me to one conventional filter, alas!) and don't yet see the need for the glitzy Petroff, Chroziel, et al....

Charles Papert August 23rd, 2005 12:12 AM

Gents, for what it's worth (and to those who have yet to make their polarizer purchase), the notion that one needs a circular (vs the more inexpensive linear) polarizer is largely manufactured by those who would like to sell you a more expensive filter, and otherwise by those who misinterpret the manufacturer's recommendations for when to use circular polas, which don't include DV cameras by definition. I have used linear polarizers for years with video cameras and seen no issues whatsoever, so I recommend saving the difference and putting it toward another filter.

Terry Thompson August 23rd, 2005 12:27 AM

Dang Charles, is there anything you don't know? (I mean that in a good way!) I guess experience really is the best teacher. At least that's what I'm finding out for myself.

By the way, I'm becomming quite knowledgeable on the "linearity" thing concerning gimbals. Not for any desire of mine but because of necessity.

Now back to polarizers and such.

Best to you,

Tery