Finally Ready - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Best Buy - overpriced, but convenient

Good evening. First post, don't expect too much.

I might have gone with one of the sponsors if I'd known this site existed before a few days ago, but as it stands, I ordered my XL2 through Best Buy's customer fulfilment program on tuesday. Allows you to buy something that doesn't exist in the store and still retain all bitching rights at your nearest Best Buy. I'm paranoid about buying stuff online because of the intangible nature of such endeavors. The result? $4749.99 for the kit and a four year service plan for $249.99. Almost full retail, but four years of peace of mind and the ability to turn BBY's General Manager into a slobbering pile if something goes wrong.

~Nick Vaughan
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #17
Wrangler

Hey Nick,

I'm sure it'll work out fine with your purchase -- but of course now that you're hooked up with the best online community with the best sponsors, you know where to go for all your future purchases!

Over the 3 years since stepping up to "hobbyist" I've only bought two camcorders and a digital SLR from Zotz, so it ain't because I'm some industry big cheese...but Brian from Zotz heard from one of his employees that I'll be in the market for an HD cam when the autumn/winter crop of cameras hit the street, so HE picked up the phone and called ME just to chit-chat about cameras the other day. Won't find that kind of service at a chain!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vaughan
four years of peace of mind and the ability to turn BBY's General Manager into a slobbering pile if something goes wrong.
Welcome aboard Nick! There's a lot to be said for buying stuff in a local store; I do it all the time myself. I've had generally positive experiences at Best Buy myself, but not everyone else has or websites like bestbuysux.org wouldn't exist ;-)

I'll have to say though, whenever I've been in there after the holidays there's a huge line at the customer service counter, and it isn't the managers who end up as slobbering piles...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I'll have to say though, whenever I've been in there after the holidays there's a huge line at the customer service counter, and it isn't the managers who end up as slobbering piles...
No doubt. I used to work for BBY and I've been through the holidays on the other side of the counter. Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I'm sure it'll work out fine with your purchase -- but of course now that you're hooked up with the best online community with the best sponsors, you know where to go for all your future purchases!
Yes. Now I need the high-margin items like tapes, batteries, and EVERY ACCESSORY KNOWN TO MAN that BBY would never have. To the sponsors I shall go!

Thanks to both of you for the hearty welcome.

~Nick Vaughan
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #20
Wrangler

Hi Nick,

Welcome to DV-INFO.NET. I am happy to see someone else from my hometown here at DV-INFO. Like Boyd said, you have found one of the best online communities there is.

Good luck with your new XL-2.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Wow, didn't expect anyone from TC to be here. That's really cool.

Thanks for the welcome!

~Nick
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:21 PM   #22
Major Player

I got my XL2 from a vendor who is not a DV-INFO sponsor. They are kind of shady, I was quoted one price on one day and when I called back to order it they tried to sheist me, I told the guy forget about it. He called me back 15 minutes later and offered me the original price plus a 4 year warranty. I ended up getting it signed, sealed, and delivered just under 4400 with a 4 year warranty. They're a little salesman-centric but if you work you can get a good price.

Last edited by Greg Boston; August 22nd, 2005 at 09:36 AM. Reason: edited by moderator to improve message clarity
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Varner
I got my XL2 from these guys. They are kind of shady, I was quoted one price on one day and when I called back to order it they tried to sheist me, I told the guy forget about it. He called me back 15 minutes later and offered me the original price plus a 4 year warranty. I ended up getting it signed, sealed, and delivered just under 4400 with a 4 year warranty. They're a little salesman-centric but if you work you can get a good price.
Jason,

Welcome to DV-INFO. We have several good sponsors of this site who are very reputable, and give great customer service. Because they make this site possible, we ask that you not refer members to other vendors in the public forums.

Thanks for your understanding,

-gb-
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM   #24
Major Player

Well stated Greg. You might want to go back and re-edit the edited post. In the string it now reads like the author is referring to a dvinfo sponsor. I suppose JV refers to the many online bait and switch machines out there...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM   #25
Wrangler

Thanks for catching that Jimmie.

Jason, I edited your post to improve the message clarity a little bit.

-gb-
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #26
Inner Circle

DV-Info Sponsors for Canadian Customers

Which of our sponsors handle us Canadian customers the best or even can drop-ship from within Canada? There are a lot or otherwise good mail-order and web site vendors who's vision goes dark at the 49th parallel. It can be incredibly frustrating to hear about great deals and service from vendors X, Y, and Z only to find they won't ship to Canada or the shipping charges eat up any savings or they can't help with factory warantee service after the sale if required. Canon Canada, for example, won't touch a camera sold in the States or from a stateside web dealer, claiming that it's Canon USA's problem. Personally I feel how Canon chooses to organize their company internally for tax purposes shouldn't be our concern as customers - I'm dealing with Canon - period. As far as I'm concerned, Canon Canada and Canon USA are just two labels slapped on two doors in the same hallway in the headquarters building of the same company, not really different companies from each other any more than are the engineering and the marketing departments of Canon itself different companies. So which, if any, of our sponsors will deal with Canadian customers or do the best in making that border as transparent as possible.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:23 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Steve, it's a difficult situation. I'm working on a partnership with one or two Canadian dealers who are authorized to sell Canon and other lines. That's about all I can say at the moment.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders