FOCUS issues with the 20X Lense - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barr
yeah I've got a VZ Rock but seldom use the focus control, only the zoom and record really. still wouldn't help me though if I did use it to focus. I'd like to be able to pan/tilt and zoom with the VZ, and sometimes change focus on the lens barrel simultaneously...I'll have to get the manual lens won't I? Is it also controllable via Lanc?
As long as you have the little servo motor engaged on the zoom it should at least handle zooming functions. Obviously no focus features would work as the manual lens doesn't support this. The other functions are not lens specific so they should all work. I can't confirm this but it seems logical.

(Just to clarify the manual 16x lens has a manual and servo zoom function that you can engage/disengage as you need it. This allows you to do quick zooms in and out via hand or set it to allow the XL2 rocker to control zoom. But it can't do both simultaneously)
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #32
Regular Crew

thanks guys, just to clarify though..if I got the manual 16x I could control the zoom via lanc at the same time as changing focus via the lens barrel as and when I wished?
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, on the black 16x manual lens, you can zoom remotely via LANC controller while changing focus manually by hand. If you want to do it all from the tripod pan handles, then you could get fancy and also control focus remotely with a separate mechanical focus controller, about $500 from VariZoom.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #34
Regular Crew

that's cool, might as well work in a TV studio again! nice idea, but just slightly too pricey for me at the minute though. would be great to control it all from the pan handles - would need a bigger and better LCD screen than the XL2's little thing! what's the best ext monitor for this cam in your opinion as the included one is ok for composition but pretty poor for focus? I do find it easier to focus with the screen though rather than the eyepiece magnifier, what do you all prefer, or have you all gone for the b&w 'proper' VF? (should I start a new thread somewhere else?)
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

Yes that is a new topic... but please don't start a new one as there are scores of existing threads here about LCD monitors for the XL series camcorders. Please search through those discussions first. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders