Different Lenses???? on XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Different Lenses???? on XL2

Hello,

This may sound like a really stupid question so please bare with me!!

On the XL2 you can change the lenses, what is the advantage of this? Is the standard stock lens not good enough?

Would picture quality be better if you used a different lens etc???

Thanks

Ant
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

Anthony,

The ability to change lenses is one of the greatest strengths of the XL series camcorders. Yes, there are other lenses which would be preferable to the stock lens in certain situations. In addition to the 20x lens, there is the 16x auto lens, a 16x manual lens, a 3x wide angle lens, and if you can find it, a 14x full manual lens(even the iris is manual). Then you have an EF adapter which will allow you to fit any of the Canon EF 35mm still photo lenses to the camera at a 7.4x magnification factor. This setup is used by wildlife videographers and law enforcement surveillance due to the extreme telephoto value this combination yields.

If you're serious about film making, there is the P&S Technik adapter which utilizes a relay lens and moving ground glass. This allows the use of true 35mm cinematic lenses to be used and because the camera is seeing a 'projected' image, you gain the ability to control depth of field to very shallow ranges as is often done in film and still photography.

So, Anthony, you have one fine camera with lots of capabilities!

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Excellent post Greg!

Mike
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks very much for that detailed reply.
Do you own a XL2 yourself?

Can anyone recc a good tripod to use with this camera?

Ant
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Quintin
Do you own a XL2 yourself? Can anyone recc a good tripod to use with this camera? Ant
Antony,

See these two threads already in progress, they are on that exact topic. They have the answers.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49627

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49650

Good Luck,

Mike
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

woops sorry!!!
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Quintin
Do you own a XL2 yourself?

Can anyone recc a good tripod to use with this camera?

Ant
I actually have 2 XL-2 cameras. Another great feature of the XL-2 is the ability to tie them together via firewire and transfer presets from one to the other. This allows you to make certain that both cameras are giving the same look in a multi-camera shoot.

As for tripods, get the best one you can afford. There are tripod/head combos that will adequately support the camera but not yield the smoothest pans and tilts. Try to get the best tripod head you can for the smoothest movements. Look for a head that has adjustable spring counterbalance. A sliding plate mount also helps in balancing the front-heavy stock XL-2.

regards,

-gb-
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Excellent post Greg!

Mike
Thanks for the kind words Mike. Hope all is well for you down there in Florida. Looks like Katrina is going to be a real PITA for your state.

-gb-
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Thanks for the kind words Mike. Hope all is well for you down there in Florida. Looks like Katrina is going to be a real PITA for your state.

-gb-
Katrina slipped under me this time. Just some good wind and rain. She hit the Miami area harder this time. Probably making up for all that FEMA money they got for no reason last year. Still getting feeder bands here, but most just rain.

Speaking of lenses though, I picked up an Optex adapter for my XL1s's, to attach my Nikon lenses. Wow, talk about reaching out and touching someone, it is cool! Only did a test from my garage, but pointed it at a pine tree about a 1/4 mile away, and you could count the thistles or whatever you call them, and a single bunch filled the viewfinder. Very sensitive on the focus though. Just using my Nikon AF lenses, but I am going to look for one good manual to use with it. I Can't move the iris on the AFs.

I keep reading about the XL2 and keep contemplating selling one of the XL1s's and getting the XL2. I'd have to find something else to sell too. I'll keep dreaming.

Mike
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I keep reading about the XL2 and keep contemplating selling one of the XL1s's and getting the XL2. I'd have to find something else to sell too. I'll keep dreaming.

Mike
The main reason I have 2 XL-2 cameras is because one popped up on our classifieds and was a very good deal. Plus, the seller was local so I got to actually check out the camera's operation before I handed him the money. They do show up for sale here on the classifieds from time to time. Probably more will as some folks transition to the newer HDV cameras. Hopefully, you won't have to dream for long.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders