Got one now!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Got one now!!

Just ordered my XL2!! Can't wait!!
I was also looking at a few other items:

Vinten Pro-5 tripod - Opinions>????

Looking for a good radio mic - cheapish!!

and has anyone used the Anton Bau batts that go on the acc back of the XL2? Where can i get these? are they any good?

thanks for your time

Ant

p.s- i know there is a BIG debate on what tapes to use, but does any1 have any personal views on what tapes they use and stick with ???
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Quintin
...and has anyone used the Anton Bau batts that go on the acc back of the XL2? Where can i get these? are they any good?
Anton Bauer are pretty much the Cadillac of battery systems. Look at the back of practically every news camera and that's what you'll see. I've just recently aquired an A/B system for my XL-2. There are several different batteries available. Depends on how power hungry your camera rig is. The best thing is the weight it puts on the rear of the camera is very helpful at bringing it to a more balanced state. This is especially helpful when shooting from the shoulder.

Look to some of the DV-INFO sponsors to buy the A/B system for your camera. They'll take good care of you.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Greg... a little off topic but "Cadillac" is no longer an analogous to "best of breed." Aren't there about 20 other cars out there that you would buy before you would buy a Caddy? ummm, yep!

o.k. I'll shut up.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Greg... a little off topic but "Cadillac" is no longer an analogous to "best of breed." Aren't there about 20 other cars out there that you would buy before you would buy a Caddy? ummm, yep!

o.k. I'll shut up.
Ok, I'll bite. How about 'creme de la creme'? Although, Caddy has some cool designs on the market these days. They definitely aren't your father's Caddy!

-gb-
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i use panasonic tapes. don't use sony. it's kind of annoying when i work with a university of TExas student cuz they get an endless supply of sony tapes. make sure you have canon head cleaner. use panasonic tapes.
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6
New Boot

I've been using and Anton Bauer set-up for years now on the XL-1 and XL-2. I wouldn't use anything else. They balance out the camera great for shoulder shooting.
We started using Trimpacs and they gave us great power, we eaisly can run for 8+ hours on ONE Trimpac!
However, we just upgraded to the Hytron 50 and wow, what an upgrade. They weigh about half as much (great for travel) as a Trimpac and give wayyy more power. We have run for more than 18+ hours (total daytime hours, like 4 tape hours) on one battery and haven't run the Hytron down more than 50%!!!
Just get yourself the Anton Bauer Gold mount made for the XL-2 and a few Hytrons, you'll love em. We also use only Panasonic tapes.

"TV said that? Then it must be true." -Homer Simpson
Jeff Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Trustee

Tape stock does not matter at all. Go with a major brand and stay with it. The only time you see tape related issues is almost always with someone using multiple brands. As far as Sony, I have shot close to 5000 hours on Sony tapes with no consistent issues.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #8
Wrangler

Agree, which tape you choose is not so important. But once you pick a kind of tape, stick with it. If you switch, you'll need to clean the heads.

Not to necessarily discourage anyone from using the "BMW of batteries" (Anton Bauer), but as a "be aware"...we did just have a recent thread highlighting that 3rd party battery use CAN void your warranty:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49445
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thank you guys :)
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #10
Major Player

batteries

You might want to think about a lower cost alternative as well. Buying a Canon CH-910 battery charger/holder with two BP-945's mounted on the rear of the camera. The Anton's are extreme quality and their superior power is useful especially if you will be using accessories such as camera lights, etc.
The problem is they cost out the nose. The Hytron battery for example is close to $500.00 street price. Although they do have lower cost alternatives they are still well above your standard fare lithium ion battery.
Determine your shooting requirements and what your power consumption needs will be.
My set up works fine for what I need it for as I don't run an on camera light or monitor(sans the 2" LCD).
I've used this set up and ran the camera a total of 9 hours before needing to switch out to a charged BP-945.
The Anton Bauer's are indeed nice if you can afford them, but it's all about options. Just giving you another.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
You might want to think about a lower cost alternative as well. Buying a Canon CH-910 battery charger/holder with two BP-945's mounted on the rear of the camera.
Doesn't the 945 mounted on the left side hit you in the head? I had heard this was an issue with the XL-2.

Quote:
The Anton Bauer's are indeed nice if you can afford them.
DV-INFO classifieds to the rescue again. I was fortunate enough to find a good deal on a used set-up with two batteries, twin charger, and mounting plate. The batteries aren't the latest and greatest, but that's just it. I can buy newer battery technology from A/B and know it will work. Should I step up to a high end eng type camera, the batteries and charger will be usable. So, I look at it as a long term investment.

-gb-
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Doesn't the 945 mounted on the left side hit you in the head? I had heard this was an issue with the XL-2.

DV-INFO classifieds to the rescue again. I was fortunate enough to find a good deal on a used set-up with two batteries, twin charger, and mounting plate. The batteries aren't the latest and greatest, but that's just it. I can buy newer battery technology from A/B and know it will work. Should I step up to a high end eng type camera, the batteries and charger will be usable. So, I look at it as a long term investment.

-gb-
Hey, Greg. I heard something like that, but mine comes flush with the side of the camera body (viewfinder side)
So either I did something wrong in mounting it or someone else messed up. (probably the former) All I know is that it fits well and balances the camera out beautifully.
But, if someone can swing cheap Anton Batteries they should go for it. Just trying to lay any and all options on the table.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Hey, Greg. I heard something like that, but mine comes flush with the side of the camera body (viewfinder side)
So either I did something wrong in mounting it or someone else messed up. (probably the former) All I know is that it fits well and balances the camera out beautifully.
But, if someone can swing cheap Anton Batteries they should go for it. Just trying to lay any and all options on the table.
Eric,

Good to hear that about the left side 945 not bothering you. Maybe it was just a nasty rumor that has now been put to rest. I agree that having the dual batteries on the 910 is a good setup. Rest assured, I'm not looking forward to laying out big bucks for those newer battery packs.

-gb-
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

910 Viewfinder side

I did find that with the larger battery on the left hand side of the 910 it was banging my head when wearing headphones. Easily overcome by adjusting the viewfinder out further to the left and forward. Also makes the camera more comfortable.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Howdy

Hey Declan, just saying hello, didn't realise you were a member!

(I posted the FU- this morning and they said you'd get it tomorrow.

All the best
Martin Costa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders