A question about mini 35 mm for XL2 PAL =) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 1st, 2005, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A question about mini 35 mm for XL2 PAL =)

I am going to buy a Canon XL 2 soon... I am in Sweden, so naturally I will go for a PAL (which I would probably opt to do even in the states considering resolution and such). I was just wondering, and I do hope I don't sound like too much of a "noob" but I haven't worked with adapters before...

My predicament is this; I am planning to simultaneously obtain a mini35-adapter along with my XL2, and since I will buy a PAL version of the Canon XL2, I feel especially obliged to ask the following questions:

* Will the mini35 adapter work well with a Canon XL2 PAL? Does it even matter in the end? Should I look for a special one?

* How does it work with Settings in the cam? 16:9 mode and progressive capture and such? Are those functions independent of the lens, even if I attach the lenses to the mini35-adapter? As far as I have understood it, all settings INSIDE the camera will be the things directing the actual capture, so what I *want* to believe is that no matter what lens I have, with my mini35-adapter, I can still capture stuff in 16:9 and PAL and with any setting and it will all work magnificiently well? Is this true? =)

* Where do I get a GOOD mini35-adapter? I dont wanna pay a fortune but I want nice quality obviously. What alternatives do you guys recommend?

* Have I missed something important here, within the context of my questions?

- Thank you all in advance =) I am in your debt for any eventual answers =)
Andreas Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Wrangler

Indeed, the 16:9 and progressive modes are a function of the camera. Remember, the Mini 35 is merely a small projector mounted to the front of the camera to project an image of a 35mm lens via a groundglass which can retain the shallow depth of field onto the camera CCDs. In fact, if you are going to use the mini 35, I would think you'd want to go 25P and 1/50 shutter to more closely mimic film.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for the information/confirmation =) Invalueable in my current situation, namely that of being a confused filmmaker =)
Andreas Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Good luck finding a cheap mini35 adapter. There aren't many that are in major production that are also cheap. Several people have plans online to build your own.

There is also the new M2 micro 35mm adapter produced by Redrock Microsystems. It is more affordable but you will need a few peripherals to make it work practically eg a set of still lenses, a rail system (which they sell), and most likely an external LCD to flip the image. You can still score all that for around $1000 through Redrock. So you might want to check them out (www.micro35.com)
Andrew C. Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

It's inevitable that these things happen, but of course Mini35 is a brand name of a specificproduct (made by P+S Technik), not a generic name for all such adaptors. Unfortunately no-one's come up with a quick generic term so this was bound to happen. Same thing with Steadicam--it's certainly common to see the brand name used (often misspelled or with a lower-case "s"). But of course who doesn't ask for a Kleenex when they have a runny nose?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders