Follow Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 7th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Follow Focus

Hey do any of you know if the cavision follow focus will work with the 20x or 3x XL lens or just the 16x Manual.
Thanks
Russell Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Follow focus units will only work with the full manual lens(es) since the 3x, 16x
and 20x lenses are servo controlled.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:35 AM   #3
New Boot

Follow Focus

Last October I bought a Cavision 4x4 bellows Matte box (with French flag & side flaps) , 9 filters, 15mm rail system, a shoulder brace, two different sets of handles and a follow focus with a special canon video lens gear and it works very well with the 16x manual lens. The guys at Cavision are really great to do business with and are very accommodating. I’d recommend them to anyone. It is possible for you get very accurate focus pulls (but not quite as good as real Motion Picture equivalents) with their follow focus, so I guess it IS an opinion you can go with if you have the proper gears and skill (which takes forever to get to good).
Russell Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Russell,

How so you like your Cavision system? Can you give some pros & cons? I'm seriously considering buying a nearly identical package from Cavision and was wondering how sturdy the bellows is? Is it very rigid? Can it take some abuse? (not that I would try, but just in case...) How about the rest of the gear?

As for the follow focus/ servo lens issue, I wish the auto lenses were geared anyway. Although you can't get repeatable focus with them, I find it easier to pull focus with a FF rather than on the barrel, even when operating as well.

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders