Matching XL1s and XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching XL1s and XL2

What works best to match XL1s video with XL2 video when using the XL1s as a second camera?

I have seen a range of answers to this question. Some people suggest turning down the gain on the XL2 while others recommend tweaking the XL1s video in post production to match the XL2 output.

I do mostly documentary video work and some educational/product info videos. Other than lighting effects, I prefer to apply special effects later with plugins (Movie Looks, etc) in post production in case I or the client doesn't like effect in the final edits. That's why I don't like the idea of degrading the sharpness or contrast of the XL2. I would rather try to match the XL1s images to the XL2.
Jeff Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Only way to match them 100% is to degrade the XL2, especially in 16:9 mode. The XL1s gets very soft in 16:9. Best scenario is to use one wide and one tight. I switch it up depending on what I am shooting but the XL2 is superior at detail across highlights and shadows so I often use it wide. You will need to turn the reds down toward green on the XL1s and the saturation down a notch or two. You will also need to boost the sharpness on the XL1s. Best case is to shoot in 4:3 in 30p or 60i.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders