Secondary Camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 17th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Secondary Camera

Excellent information. Thanks, I've been feeling more positive about my prospects with a second less expensive Canon model. I'd love to hear whatever else you guys have to say on going with a GL1 or GL2. I'm also curious to know what people are speculating on the release date of a new Canon camera to match something like Sony's $1,500 dollar HDV cam.
Tom Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow, I just got guessing all about the new HD camera. Not sure I'm ready to guess the GL3! Seriously, if it's in line with the others in the series, the price point would probably be in the $2500 - $3000 range. No guesses on anything else including release date. That's for area 51...but I was surprised it wasn't announced this past week.

As far as buying a GL1 or GL2, I would seriously think about getting one used. The market is saturated with good cameras right now from people wanting to move up to HDV cameras. If not, I love www.zgc.com and always deal with Chris. She's awesome and has never let me down.

Good luck.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #18
Major Player

GL2 and XL2 Matching

Glad that I found this thread, I was about to ask the same question about matching the GL and XL since I have a shoot in November where I'm shooting my 2 GL2's and a friend is coming up with his XL2. I needed to know if anyone had done the a/b's on these 2 cams and could advise on what might be some good setups to get the job done since we won't have much time on set to get things right.

Now that I also saw this thread I noted that some of you might be interested in a used GL2, if that's the case, I'm contemplating on selling 1 of my 2 units so that I might trade up to the XL2 (no HD in my future so no XL H1). If you're someone that's interested in a used GL2, email me offline and I'll give you the details. Might feel better selling privately here than on Ebay knowing that it will go to a good home where the end user knows what they're doing!

Now back to the original question, does anyone have a setup for both the XL2 and GL2?

ML
Old September 18th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #19
Wrangler

Oh, I forgot when I posted last time...I have a crude comparison of the GL2 and XL2 on my web site:

http://www.geosynchrony.com/scratchpad.htm

(Scroll down to "Side by Side Comparison of the XL2 and GL2")

It ain't much but does show a definite difference in resolution between the XL2's true 30p and the GL2's 30F.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Canon HD Camcorder

I saw pricing on Canon's H1 HD camera...$9,000.00, I guess I was a little surprised. I thought that Canon would come out with an HD camera that might be closer in price to say Sony's HDR HC-1 HD camera. Anyone else seen pricing on the H1, and will there be a GL3?
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodworth
I saw pricing on Canon's H1 HD camera...$9,000.00, I guess I was a little surprised. I thought that Canon would come out with an HD camera that might be closer in price to say Sony's HDR HC-1 HD camera. Anyone else seen pricing on the H1, and will there be a GL3?
I got a quote from Zotz and list is 8999 so that's right, only a matter of time however before that comes down and I like you agree, I expected something on the order of the Sony but hey this is a full feature camera with interchangable lenses and a host of other cool features, it's for pro shooters and they will pay that much to be the first on the block, I however will wait!
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I will wait also. I agree that due to the camera being full featured and that it has the interchangeable lens system, it should be more then the Sony. However, I was hoping for maybe only $1,000.00 more. In any case, I'm on the hunt for the best deal I can find on either a GL2 or XL1 between now and the end of October. I'm not sure which to look for the hardest though, the GL2 or the XL1. I always like the input so thanks again.
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodworth
I will wait also. I agree that due to the camera being full featured and that it has the interchangeable lens system, it should be more then the Sony. However, I was hoping for maybe only $1,000.00 more. In any case, I'm on the hunt for the best deal I can find on either a GL2 or XL1 between now and the end of October. I'm not sure which to look for the hardest though, the GL2 or the XL1. I always like the input so thanks again.
Tom send me an email at miguel@lauderdaledj.com let me know what you're looking for in a GL2 and we'll discuss, I'm putting mine on Ebay in the coming week and getting it to someone that wants it and knows what to do with it might be better for both of us.

Miguel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders