Not a good wide standard XL2 Factory lens!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM   #16
Trustee

Check this out Mike:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/artic...icle10.php#xl3

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM   #17
Trustee

I agree with Ash that the 3x wide lens is awsome and delivers a better image than all of the adapters. I wouldn't call the concerns over back focus a "farce" as I witnessed it personally on my XL2 with 2 different 3x lenses. But I do think it is greatly exaggerated. This lens delivers an amazing image. The glass is top notch. I don't think you can wrong with it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #18
New Boot

Its now for 7 years I`ve used the XL1 with his 16x lens, the use of wide with
this lens was not good but just enough, I made a lot of shots on music partys
so the range from the 16x lens was accepteble.
Now I`ve the XL2 with the 20x lens and I must say I was a little bit `shocked` when I use this lens in wide, it is almost not possible to get
the people totally on the picture, mostly it isn`t possible to go more backwards, this is a real problem.
The 3x lens isn`t a solution, I need a zoom option to 12X, changing a lens
in those situations is not done, than I must change every 5 minutes the lens.

I realy don`t understand why Canons standard lens isn`t standard.

A lens with the good range isn`t avaible, a 0.7 adaptor maybe but cost
quality, money(lot) and more heavy.
So ?!
Harry Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #19
Major Player

The 20x is a superb device. I wouldn't want a 2 in one solution for this fantastic peice of optics. As for the 3X with the XL2, the image is softer at most all apertures. The form factor does make it worth the money as opposed to thread on bulk at the front of the 20x.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #20
Trustee

Unless you zoom in and close the aperture you will not notice much softeness on the 3X. If you are outdoors, use ND filters to control the light....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #21
Tourist

3X wide vs 0.7 Century

A Canon rep told me the 3X wide does suffer from chromatic abberation and recommended an add on wide angle adaptor. This occured at the Videomaker Expo in New Jersey last week. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #22
Major Player

I have a 3x lens (2nd one, my first one died due to me blowing a fuse, idiot, and the store replaced it for me rather than a costly repair).... anyhoo, I love the lens. Wish it had 2 steps of ND, but other than that, awsome.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W. Morris
A Canon rep told me the 3X wide does suffer from chromatic abberation and recommended an add on wide angle adaptor. This occured at the Videomaker Expo in New Jersey last week. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Hmmmm....
The rep must have special knowledge that we were not aware of... Seems like the Sony optics are the worst offender for C/A.
I find it odd that a Canon rep would contradict the very reason for being with regard to the only lens switchable cam in it's class.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W. Morris
A Canon rep told me the 3X wide does suffer from chromatic abberation and recommended an add on wide angle adaptor. This occured at the Videomaker Expo in New Jersey last week.
Welcome to DV Info Net, Richard, and I must say that this is a pretty bold statement for your very first post. Canon's USA video division relies on a substantial amount of outside help at trade shows such as VideoMaker. Most likely you were not talking to a "rep" at all but one of the independant consultants (who are not Canon employees) that work those shows. I've done many such Expos for Canon and other manufacturers myself. Quite possibly you either misheard this person, or they made a misinformed remark, because the 3x wide angle lens does not suffer from chromatic abberation. It doesn't have the long focal length required to see chromatic abberation. The "softness" of the 3x lens is simply the Pixel Averaging phenomenon which has been discussed here before, and is common in standard definition DV at very wide angles. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
The rep must have special knowledge that we were not aware of...
That "rep" was most likely not a "rep" at all but an outside trade show consultant, see my post above.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders