Problems with small lithium battery...cause major headaches! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Yep. You never know how long those batteries sat in a warehouse or in a store's back room. I have had one of those early 64K organizers (was the shizzle back then) for about 12 years. I rarely if ever use it but I remember holding my breath when changing the main AA batteries even though there was a backup battery installed. If/when they both go bad, uh, you are screwed! However, as we all know one of the strongest marketing tools these manufacturers use today is that best if used by date. But, like in Mike's case those were probably actual dead or defective cells. Mike, do you happen to remember what the use by dates were?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:11 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
But, like in Mike's case those were probably actual dead or defective cells. Mike, do you happen to remember what the use by dates were?

Sorry, it has been years, so no idea on the dates. They were new from a Walgreens though, and I do check dates on batteries, especially now.

Mike
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:52 AM   #18
Trustee

This is why I started this thread. I now have a better feel for what everyone is experiencing with the batteries. Unless it happens to me again I will assume that this was a one time issue.

The other reason I started this thread was to give fair warning to anyone that has a battery go dead or have the camera reset to factory settings. There are a few "odd" default settings that I wasn't aware of that need to be reset.

As far as the zebra patterns.....yeah...I should have caught that. My MO is to expose until I just start to see the zebras. I have them set at 90 so that allows a little margin for error. The shoot I was on was on the cusp of zebras anyway....so I just opened the iris a little too far. I was concentrating on my compostion and didn't notice the slight overexposure in the viewfinder. I am just used to seeing the zebras and then backing off a little. Without them appearing I just didn't back off enough. My mistake for the most part. I posted so no one else makes that same mistake.

What I find odd is that it retained all of my Custom Presets....even the names were intact as I used the Blue Barn Software to name them. So it seems as if they must be stored in some type of non volatile ram.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, they're held in the camera's EEPROM. By the way, the new XL H1 incorporates a built-in, rechargeable T/D batt... and it's about time for that!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:29 AM   #20
Wrangler

Marty,

FWIW, I was aware of which battery you were referring to. The advice I gave you was based on the fact that you said it had failed and then started to work again. That led me to suspect an issue of bad electrical contact because as you said, those batteries 'should' last longer than that and they usually do. But it's very possible you got a bad one from the factory.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

And that's why I recommended changing them on a more frequent basis, like every three months.

Old September 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
And that's why I recommended changing them on a more frequent basis, like every three months.
Seems a little extreme precaution but I understand. Kinda like just keep putting air in your tires instead of finding out where that slow leak is.

Greg is right that this happened once and then the battery started working again. Actually, I took the battery out and reseated it and then the little red light stopped flashing and I was able to save settings again. As I stated before I didn't have it in any harsh environment or drop it so I don't see how the battery could have moved in there. Either way...I bought brand new energizer batteries and replaced to be safe.

All of this dissussion is intended to learn, and give information on a subject that we don't deal with often as these batteries usually last the lifetime of the camera. (Meaning I usually sell it and upgrade to a newer model...not the camera dies.....)
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Guys,
Are you sure it's not the little nicad battery in the body that's going bad?
I got the camera two weeks ago... I hope not.
Michael Guarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Guarino
I got the camera two weeks ago... I hope not.
Michael,
I think that you should hope so! That little watch battery is the easiest thing to replace. When you first got your XL2 you should have had to put this battery inside the compartment in the body. Hopefully you did this. IF it is not holding your settings make sure it is in the right direction with the positive+ side facing out. IF it is indeed in correct; run, don't walk, to your nearest camera, electronic, discount store and buy a new Panasonic CR2025 battery. Replace the one in the camera and test. The new battery should work. If you still lose your settings then you may have a problem. But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion until you try all options.

Good Luck
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Seems a little extreme precaution but I understand. Kinda like just keep putting air in your tires instead of finding out where that slow leak is.
Actually I don't think that's a very good analogy, and I would hardly call the practice of regularly replacing the T/D batt an "extreme precaution." I call it a good idea and a good habit.

We're talking about an off-the-shelf item that may or may not last as long as it's supposed to and which costs a buck or two at the most. As for myself, I would rather not worry about it, or wonder how long it will last or how long it's supposed to last. Just keep a couple of extras handy, store them with the camera, and they're always there if you need 'em. Especially if you rely on Free Run time code for multi-camera shoots... you want that T/D batt to be fresh.

In my opinion, the biggest concern is how to properly dispose of a T/D batt.

Old September 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Actually I don't think that's a very good analogy, and I would hardly call the practice of regularly replacing the T/D batt an "extreme precaution." I call it a good idea and a good habit.

We're talking about an off-the-shelf item that may or may not last as long as it's supposed to and which costs a buck or two at the most. As for myself, I would rather not worry about it, or wonder how long it will last or how long it's supposed to last. Just keep a couple of extras handy, store them with the camera, and they're always there if you need 'em. Especially if you rely on Free Run time code for multi-camera shoots... you want that T/D batt to be fresh.

In my opinion, the biggest concern is how to properly dispose of a T/D batt.
Ok Chris...I get you. We are looking at it differently, that's all. A better analogy would be that a person changes brake pads every so many thousand miles beacuse its cheap and easy. That is how you are looking at it.

Another person has a problem where they find their brakepads are wearing abnormally fast. In this case changing them often is just treating the symptom, not the problem. Just keep putting new ones on instead of researching to find why they are wearing so fast. And not even waiting until they are worn, just put new ones on to avoid risking the others get worn. That is how I perceived it in the context of the original theme of this thread.

Obviously replacing the batteries from time to time is a good sound thing to do. If, and I repeat "if" one finds that they are going through batteries at an accelerated rate I think it would be in their best interest to pursue an answer to this problem and not just keep putting fresh ones in and avoiding what might be causing it.

In my case I have nothing to indicate this will ever happen again....and I sure hope not. But my XL2 is nearing the end of the 1 year warranty and if anybody else on this board would have indicated that they are having problems or had the same problem, I would have like to get it back to the service center before the time for free repair is up.
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Michael,
I think that you should hope so! That little watch battery is the easiest thing to replace. When you first got your XL2 you should have had to put this battery inside the compartment in the body. Hopefully you did this. IF it is not holding your settings make sure it is in the right direction with the positive+ side facing out. IF it is indeed in correct; run, don't walk, to your nearest camera, electronic, discount store and buy a new Panasonic CR2025 battery. Replace the one in the camera and test. The new battery should work. If you still lose your settings then you may have a problem. But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion until you try all options.

Good Luck
thanks for the advice, you know what though, I bought and returned the PAL XL2 also before I got the NTSC one, and the SAME EXACT THING happened with both of my batteries. I was hoping it was just cause I had the PAL, but i guess not. I'll try what you suggested though :)
Michael Guarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
But my XL2 is nearing the end of the 1 year warranty and if anybody else on this board would have indicated that they are having problems or had the same problem, I would have like to get it back to the service center before the time for free repair is up.
That is always an excellent idea and I strongly encourage that final service center trip before the warranty expires. If there actually is a camera problem that's causing the T/D batt to quickly go sour, it will be discovered and repaired at the service center.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders