Colored edges on viewfinder and footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Tourist

Colored edges on viewfinder and footage

I have tried so hard to find a solution to this problem and I hope someone can at least tell me what is going on and how I can fix it (or have someone else fix it.)

When I turn my XL2 on in any mode, the viewfinder had a small blue gradient on the right side and a small yellow gradient on the left side. It seems to happen more when I shoot in low-light, but it's still noticeable at all times. These colors also reflect on my recorded footage, with a blue gradient on the right side of the video and a yellow gradient on the left side of the video. Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? I'm guessing it's a hardware issue, but I don't know if it's common or even an easy fix.

It doesn't matter what mode I'm in, or my recording settings. Opening and closing the iris seems to help a little bit, but it doesn't completely get rid of it. Does this sound like a lens problem or a body problem? I'm really clueless here. Thanks in advance for the help.
Justin Kolosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Colored edges on viewfinder and footage

It's a lens problem called Chromatic Aberration: Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Different lenses have differing amounts of CA. I have pretty bad eyesight, and as such my glasses have a significant amount of CA.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Erm, no, Edward, I don't think it is CA.

CA couldn't, and wouldn't, account for a distinct colour cast that changed colour across the full width of both the finder and the shot footage (and the XL2 lens has excellent CA control anyway).

It sounds like something else is going on if the symptoms are as I've understood them from the description given.

It sounds more like something in the optical path has been knocked out of kilter and it is no longer accurately guiding the correct colours across the full width of the sensor.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned - there's definitely a problem that shouldn't be there.

What it would cost to fix is something else altogether.

You could try sending it to Canon and get a quote (do they do that?), but even that won't be cheap, what with shipping/ insurance/ quote fee etc.

Given that the XL2 is discontinued, and is SD only, this may be the time to bite the bullet and write it off as not worth repairing, your call - spend the money for the quote, have heart failure at both the quote and repair cost, OR invest the money in a newer camera, XH A1/s's seems to be everywhere nowadays s/h if you want a similar form/ controls factor and workflow.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

Agree that it does not sound like CA.

How about posting a screen grab that shows the issue.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Tourist

http://i50.tinypic.com/ru3ek3.jpg

I chose the darkest scene so it's very apparent.

Thanks for giving answers without being condescending, too. Most forums I've visited for help have ended up with some self-proclaimed pro talking down to me about how I'm an amateur.
Justin Kolosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Wooo, nope, that ain't CA!

I think I will stick with my first guess on this one.

Question is: Do you fix it or nix it?

Over to you.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders