Frustrated with XL2/Sony DSR-11 Combo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 10th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi all,

Received my Sony DSR-11 deck a week or so ago. Happy to report that all XL2 tapes are working so far.

Thanks,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #17
New Boot

This thread is not new but I am having a very similar issue.

Tapes that were recorded with my GL-2 will not play right (same pixilation and audio drop-outs as others) in my Sony DSR-11. However, they WILL play just fine in my Sony DSR-40.

The same tape stock recorded using Sony's DSR-500 will play fine in BOTH the DSR-11 and DSR-40, so I've ruled out the DSR-11 being the problem.

Because the DSR-40 has no problems playing the GL-2 tapes, would it be possible to have the heads of the DSR-11 aligned to match the DSR-40 instead of having to mess with my GL-2?
David Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #18
Regular Crew

David,

If I understand you correctly, you may have two problems here... it may be that both the GL2 and DSR-11 heads are slightly misaligned, yet the DSR-40 is still within spec.

I would start with the GL2. How many hours of usage do you have on it? You can request Canon to realign the heads for the DSR-11's specs. As my post earlier in this thread mentions, I did this with my XL2 and everything is fine.

Unfortunately, it does cost money to have this done if the camera is out of warranty. Hope this helps.

Kevin
Kevin Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brumfield
David,
Unfortunately, it does cost money to have this done if the camera is out of warranty.

Kevin
Do you have any idea how much Canon might charge for the head realignment? I've got the problem & am out of warranty.

H.
Henry Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, a typical charge for cleaning and alignment 'check' is $250. But it could be more.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Go Cycle

You hit the nail on the head. This has happened in the past with the GL-1 and GL-2 series. Tape pitch and alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. J. deLange
If the tapes are playing back on the XL2 OK then it is not "broken" though it's alignment is not within the range that the DSR-11 can handle. This is the famous tape crossplay problem. The only thing I can think of is to send the Sony unit back to Sony with some sample XL2 tapes and the request that the Sony machine be aligned to play those tapes. No guarantee that this will work and it will probably render the DSR-11 incapable of playing tapes from other sources.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders