XL2 loses focus even though using manual lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 25th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

XL2 loses focus even though using manual lens?

Hey guys. I'm soon going to put my XL2 up on ebay, but before I do I wanted to get something cleared up, if possible.

I last used it to shoot a birthday party (which I also edited). This was a very low light event, VERY low. What I noticed going through the footage that once or twice throughout the evening, the camera "lost" focus. I wasn't moving with the camera away from or toward the subject, and they likewise were more or less only moving laterally, not toward or away from me. Yet it would go slightly soft for just a moment, then become "right" again.

For years I've ONLY had the manual 16x lens so autofocus doesn't even come into play here. Wondering if this is a known issue in extremely low light, or something wrong with the cam? There's a local place that can take a look but they charge $75 for doing so, whether they find anything wrong or not.

Thanks.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XL2 loses focus even though using manual lens?

Odd if the lens is manual and you were not zooming, focusing, or changing aperture.

At full wide aperture it it may not take much change in subject-camera distance to hurt focus.
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Re: XL2 loses focus even though using manual lens?

Im sure i was at 1.6 the entire time.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders