How clean is the XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:24 AM   #1
Major Player

How clean is the XL2?

I'm a DVX owner and while I love the camera, the noise it produces in shadow areas really irritates me. The DVX is maybe a stop faster in low light than the XL2, but the fuzzy, digital noise it produces is really hard to deal with.

I've heard the XL2 signal is cleaner - but not having used one myself, I'd like to know just how much cleaner it is - are we talking about an incremental difference or is it WAY cleaner?

If there is a really striking difference, I may give up my general preference for the DVX in favour of the XL2's 16:9 ability and cleaner signal.

Hey, if you've compared the two, I'd welcome your comments!

Thanks.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

although I'm somewhat a newbe with the XL2, what I've been doing is testing the camera under film noier type ligthing, and the camera seems to handle the blacks real well in 24p with the proper settings. The shadows are real black, no noise. And as just general low ligthing situations, I've had mixed results, some good, some okay. But I have no doubt under the correct settings, the XL2 shines :)
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Josh, try this. www.dvcreators.net. From there click on "Watch XL2 feature tour"
Good luck.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina
although I'm somewhat a newbe with the XL2, what I've been doing is testing the camera under film noier type ligthing, and the camera seems to handle the blacks real well in 24p with the proper settings. The shadows are real black, no noise. And as just general low ligthing situations, I've had mixed results, some good, some okay. But I have no doubt under the correct settings, the XL2 shines :)

One more post... I agree with you on this Joseph. The XL2 does produce a cleaner or sharper image. Better to fool around with in post.

Incidentally, my wife and I are moving to Seattle sometime early next year.
How's the indie film community in Seattle? I hear it's pretty happening.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Eric,

I certainly hope you and your wife don't mind rain a good deal of the year, or at least sky filled with a giant ceailing of grey cloud. But I got to admit, besides from the ever growing traffic problems in Seattle, it can be beautiful here. As far as the independant film scene here, yes, that seems to be a ongoing thriving happening here. Independants are trying to make a short or feature film here, both on DV and film all the time. (Good and bad that is). And there are two great non-profit resources here, Wiggly World: http://www.wigglyworld.org/wigglyworld (for filmmaking) , and 911 Media Arts: http://www.911media.org (for digital video). And the Seattle Film Office is there and willing to help. Seattle and WA State have been encouraging filmmakers to make film here, have lowered the costs of permits to $25.00, and even here in Everett, permits are free. Of course one still has to worry about liability insurance which can be steep to one working with a low budget. For awhile, the big guys were coming in here (the short lived series The Fugitive TV series from 2000, and other productions, as well as Feature films.) Not as much now, but the State is wanting to try and revive the interest again after some bad blood happened because we had a Governor and Mayor who didn't find an interest in moviemaking for whatever reason. I guess we'll see. Good luck on your move when that happens. Drop me a line at: lynxrecords1@comcast.net & let me know how it goes for you.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
One more post... I agree with you on this Joseph. The XL2 does produce a cleaner or sharper image. Better to fool around with in post.

Incidentally, my wife and I are moving to Seattle sometime early next year.
How's the indie film community in Seattle? I hear it's pretty happening.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey, Joseph. I heard it rains less there then in NewYork and Boston throughout the course of the year.
Sounds like there might be a lot of light rain/gloom days instead of five months of torrential downpour.
Hope so, anyway.
My wife is ready and I'm from Michigan so nothing much weather wise phases me.
Glad to hear the filmmaking community is going strong. Thanks for the info!
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders