XL2 Audio Channels in Post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:09 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 Audio Channels in Post

Hello just wondering if someone could help me.

Recorded first wedding with Sony lav mic on the weekend. When I press the audio monitor button on the XL2 I can toggle between each tracks and when replaying on the TV, I am very happy because front mic on channels 1 and 2 and the lav mic captured audio beautifully on channel 3 (vows).

Anyway, what do I need to do to capture (post) channel 3. When I capture (Premier 7) it only captures channels 1 and 2. Is there a setting somewhere on the camera I have to set in order to capture channel 3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Daniel V Bonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Daniel. The most convenient way to get the other 2 channels is using Scenalyzer (http://www.scenalyzer.com/). It costs $39 but it's worth for this capability alone.

When you capture, you get 2 audio channels as part of the AVI file, and the other 2 are in a WAV file that has the same name, so it is very easy to match up which WAV file goes with which AVI. No problem to sync up the files either, as they are identical lengths.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:14 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanking You

Thanks Richard for the speedy reply.

I have seen scenalyzer and was hoping there was a method through Adobe Premier to extract channels 3 and 4 as a seperate wav file.

I know this may not be the correct forum to ask this question, but how do I do this? Based on the fact that nothing has to be changed on the camera.

Once again thanking you.

Daniel
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No, you can't do it through Premiere. You have to use Scene Analyzer and I do this all time. It's amazingly easy to use and if you are just trying to get the audio off of there you can use the trial version. It's cheap though to buy. Premiere has to address this in the next version which should be out soon. Who knows with them though so just download the trial version. You can't use the video from it but that's not what you want anyway.

Click on file/options/audio and choose "capture second audio (when available). Then just move those audio files into Premiere and you're done.
Kent Metschan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #5
New Boot

Capture audio channels 3 & 4

I am using Premier 6 and can capture channels 3 & 4 but it has required a second capture process. One of the settings in Premier allow you to pick channels 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 for the audio capture. On the second capture you don't have to capture the video which will save disk space but may make it a little more difficult to sync the audio tracks.

Robert Fox
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #6
New Boot

Premier setting for channels 3 & 4?

Thanks guys for the replies....but where in Premier is this setting to capture channels 3 and 4? Synching up audio with footage is no problem.
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #7
New Boot

Woops

Dan,

Sorry to mislead you. After you post I went in to look where I made the settings. I looked first in my laptop and could not find the settings switch. Then I looked in my desktop that I do my video editing on and found the settings in the Capture menu. However, the Capture Format is set to "Pinnacle AVI Capture" and the Setting next to "Device Control" allow me to select the audio channels. These options have been merged into my version of Premiere when I loaded the software for my Pinnacle Pro One card. So it looks like without this card I wouldn't have been able to capture channels 3 & 4.

Robert Fox
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #8
New Boot

makes sense

Thanks this makes more sense and Kent was right. I will have to go with the third party alternative. Which is not such a biggie anyway.

What is the actual web site to scan analyzer? Having problems pin pointing it.
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Daniel. I posted the Scenalyzer link earlier. (Look up a few lines.) :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #10
New Boot

Sorry mate

Sorry but that link doesnt work. I get the 404 error. I will have a good look around the net and try and find it.

Thanking you all.

Daniel
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel V Bonello
Sorry but that link doesnt work. I get the 404 error. I will have a good look around the net and try and find it.

Thanking you all.

Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Try the link again. It had the parenthese in the wrong place. I edited the message and the link is now working.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks Again....

Thanks.....works now.
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #13
New Boot

SceneAnlyzer Does the Trick

This product does exactly what I need it to do...deserves to be purchased.

Thanks all again.
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #14
New Boot

Anyone know if there is a similar utility that can capture 4 channels in one pass for the Mac?
Andrew Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders