DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   shooting in humid area (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/52326-shooting-humid-area.html)

Yoram Porath October 6th, 2005 08:15 AM

shooting in humid area

Hi All

I think to purchase the XL2 camera to shoot a documentary film in the Rain forest of Ecuador. I was really worried about the humidity in the area 88%. so I called the canon manifacture and asked about the conditions garentee by canon.
Their respond was they Guarentee only until 85% humidity and 104 F.

I would like to know if anybody has experience in shooting in high humidity or knows how the XK2 functions at that area because I do not want to take the risk. Also if anybody can suggest another Camera (at That price) that is more suitible for humidity?

Bob Safay October 6th, 2005 08:23 AM

Yuram, I have used the Canon XL-1s in Peru on the Amazon river, as well as lots of times in suthern Florida and in swamps that were in the high 90 degrees and close to 95% humidity. I never had a problem. Just remember, if you are in an air conditioned room or car to let the Canon gradually climatize or it will fog up on you. Also, remember to get electric socket converters. I always carry a cheap hair dryier. I nor only use this to dry the camcorder of moisture, but I use this to "test" the power before I plug the battary charger in. I also carry several large plastic trash bags to but the camera into when you get those sudden downpours of rain. Just wipe the camera down in the evening, keep the lens clean and have fun. Oh, clean the heads often with a good head cleaner. Bob

Duncan Wilson October 6th, 2005 10:09 AM

Yoram

I used an XL1 in Ecuadorian Amazonia and did suffer problems on a few occasions when the camera shut down automatically, flashing the humidity warning symbol. I just removed the lens and opened the tape door to ventilate for a short period each time it happened. The camera worked fine afterwards, but it was very frustrating to miss some excellent shooting opportunities while the camera was out of briefly action.

Cheers

Duncan

James Emory October 6th, 2005 10:58 AM

I don't know if the tolerances for moisture are greater or the same for the XL-2 but I have been out in the woods on a very humid day with water dripping off of my lens hood and barely beading (thin film) on the camera body of my XL-1. It scared me to death but the camera continued to work perfectly.

Relative Thread
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50227

Duplicate Thread?
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52327

Bob Thompson October 6th, 2005 09:02 PM

Yoram,

I personally would worry the humidity. Here in Hong Kong the humidity rarely drops BELOW 80% all summer and reaches 95% frequently, although I don't have a XL2 yet many of my friends do and they have not encounted problems

Yoram Porath October 10th, 2005 10:54 AM

Thank you All

I am much more relaxed knowing it is not that bad after all.

What do you know about the anti humidity chemical 'silica gel' , and how to use it.
Also how to store the cassetes and is it worth to buy a humidity proof bag, any suggestions of such?

also is it not recommanded to change lenses in that humidity

best

Yoram

James Emory October 10th, 2005 11:10 AM

Silica Gel Packs

I would be very careful using silica gel packs (dessicant) with those beads. If those packs rupture those little beads will be into every little opening on your gear! I believe B&H sells dessicant packs just for placing in gear cases so those packs may be tougher for that use. Ask to be sure.

Dessicant Packs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&shs=dessicant

Mike Black October 20th, 2005 03:57 PM

condensation

Hi,
I live in Costa Rica and where I live is usuall above 90%.
I go to the rain forrests a lot first with a VX2000 and then with a Panasonic dvc200. I have only once had that warning humidity warning light come on, but no serious problem.
I do however take as much care as I can so as not to get condensation, by putting the camera in an ice chest if I am going to use the air conditioning in the car. If not I open my camera bag so that it warms up during the trip.
It is also a good idea to put the camera in a plastic bag and let it warm up in the site before removing it.
It is also a good idea to fire up the camera without the tape to see if there are humidity problems on the head. If you get no warning, then put the tape back in.
Before I learned all this I did have a more serious problem. One day I drove from a cold climate (in Costa Rica you can go from sea level to 2,000ft in less than an hour) to the coast and was in a hurry to film. I took the camera out and when I looked through the view finder I noticed that there was condensation between the lens. I let it warm up and started shooting thinking that ever thing was allright. About nine months later I noticed like a stain in between the lens, and was told it was a fungus. I do not really know when or why this happened, but now I am much more carefull, not only about the head but also about the lens.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Ps my email is now repvale2@ice.co.cr

James Emory October 20th, 2005 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Black
.....About nine months later I noticed like a stain in between the lens, and was told it was a fungus. I do not really know when or why this happened, but now I am much more carefull, not only about the head but also about the lens......

Did that stain ever go away? If it was a growth, that's the first I've heard of that.

Mike Black October 20th, 2005 04:06 PM

condensation

Sorry,
(in Costa Rica you can go from sea level to 2,000ft in less than an hour) should read 2,000 Mts and not ft. This would mean a change from 10-15C to about 30C or more at sea level.

Mike Black October 20th, 2005 04:31 PM

stain

Hi James,
I had sold the camera (in order to buy the DVC200) to a friend who had also bought a VX2100. I sold it to him at a good price so he could take care of the problem. He had it fixed for $400, and it is working fine now, but just last week he told me that he is now noticing the same thing on his VX2100 which is now about one year old. I was actually going to post this on the VX2000 forum to see if any one else has seen this problem. I am hoping I will not have any problems with my Canon lens ($7,000) which is on my DVC200.
Mike