Upgrading the XL2, Replacing Mic, Hard Diskc recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 27th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Upgrading the XL2, Replacing Mic, Hard Diskc recording

Hello,

So I finally got to use my XL2 last night for a shoot. Learned a lot of stuff and re acclimated with the XL series. It's been years. Last time I used one of these was 2005-2007 and I was using the school's XL1S which I loved.

I noticed a few things.

1. The factory mic sucks. I would like to replace it with something good. My budget isn't thousands of dollars. We just want to do short films and I'm the only operator so no I can't hold a boom mic and operate a camera at the same time.

2. I would like instant access to the video. Even though I bought 100 Sony Professional DV tapes, I shot an hour of footage and I'm not too excited about going home and waiting an hour to upload it to my computer. (I have a full time job this is just a hobby)

3. So is there a hard disk option?

4. I need to ditch the 20x lens because it is absolutely useless indoors. Looking to getting the 3X but can I get any of the newer wide angle lenses from the 1H?

5. No I will not sell it and purchase a newer canon HD camera. I will eventually purchase the Xl 1H when I finish a movie or two and I'm tired of the XL2.

Any suggestions?
Costas Papaconstadinou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Upgrading the XL2, Replacing Mic, Hard Diskc recording

Mic - Shotgun? Some thing like a Rode NTG-2? Or consider a wireless for better audio of speakers.

In lieu of hard drive consider a CF card recorder, perhaps a datavideo DN-60. It also records HDV format.
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas Papaconstadinou View Post
3. So is there a hard disk option?
Yes, there are several. Take a look through this category: External Video Recording Solutions Forum at DV Info Net

Specifically the recorders from Focus Enhancements, but there are plenty of others in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas Papaconstadinou View Post
Looking to getting the 3X but can I get any of the newer wide angle lenses from the 1H?
There is a black 6x wide angle HD lens for the XL H1 and it will work fine on your XL2.

If you're interested, I still have a white 3x wide angle lens for the XL2 that I should have sold long ago. Let me know if you'd like to buy it. I also have the 16x manual zoom lens and a few other odds & ends for the XL series camcorders.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #4
New Boot

I have recently bought a 2nd hand FS5 DTE and am doing tape/DTE recording
I have not had any issues yet- or if I have an issue, I'm too dumb to know it yet
the firewire port from the XL2 to the FS5 is working well- hav ethe DV controls set and I can preview the thumbnails- I didn't have a usb a/a on hand and had to order one online

I always thought my stock mic worked particularly well- I also have a lectrosonics wireless lav system
I use a deadcat almost always

I bought a 2nd hand 3X awhile back for under a $100. I haven't used this lens but once- I am almost always outside and find the 20x suitable, but...
I have watched and read how the 3x has other great attributes artistically

and I bought a 1.6 extender just days ago... in bright outdoors I'm happy, in less than ideal lighting, not so happy.
Wallace Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Tourist

Hello I have fs5 dte and canon xl2 and need settings for both units, can you please assist Smartvideoproductions@yahoo.com if you can send a copy here also thanks.
David Norris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders