XL2 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Footage

Hello all. Got bored and made a new version of a video i made about a year ago. Shot with xl2, and a wide angle adapt. The original version could not have any camera shake, or out of focus footage. So I had to trash most of the footage you are about to see. I was looking through my files the other day and came across all of these unused clips i shot, clips with jerky movement and bluriness, and thought i'd put them to use. :) file is about 40 megs

also note, the short close up face shot of the girl toward the end, is the girl singing in the video.

www.elpez.com/matamoros.wmv

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler
Hello all. Got bored and made a new version of a video i made about a year ago. Shot with xl2, and a wide angle adapt. The original version could not have any camera shake, or out of focus footage. So I had to trash most of the footage you are about to see. I was looking through my files the other day and came across all of these unused clips i shot, clips with jerky movement and bluriness, and thought i'd put them to use. :) file is about 40 megs

also note, the short close up face shot of the girl toward the end, is the girl singing in the video.

www.elpez.com/matamoros.wmv

j.
WOW JOHN, phenomenal, superb eye, great editing, excellent look, just made me want to take a ride down south for a few beers and a tequila! Any chance of you sharing the settings you used for that shoot or after a year are they long gone and forgotten?

Anyway, again superb, I didn't see if the first time around.
Miguel
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

haha, No, the settings are not forgotten, thats because there were no settings. :) other than 30p and 16:9. I used no picture (color) enhancement settings on the camera or in post. I've messed around with color correction and film look plugins, and they do make the footage look better for the most part, but with those effects added, it makes for a longer render time, and im not that patient.

j.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Wrangler

John, I must congratulate you! Talented videographer + top-shelf camera = beautiful footage. In one short montage you've demonstrated several capabilities of the XL2 that some of the more negative-minded people cast as limitations -- outstanding color, creating shallow depth of field, slow zoom, maybe preset focus (or is your hand that good on the focus ring?). Outstanding!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks pete. The thing is, i dont feel that I should take THAT much credit. In my opinion, the camera creates most of the magic. It's really all about good lighting. And on that gig, i tried my best to take full advantage of the sun to create some good images. It was tough though, I had to fight the sun moving behind clouds all day. And as far as the zoom is concerned, even though i love the zoom options on the xl2, most of the "zooms" in that video, were done in post. I'm a cheater :)

j.
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

John, how did you do the slow moving left to right shots? Did you use a dolly or something?
Steven Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Major Player

That's awesome John. Were some of those shots using a dolly. That was very cinema-like footage. could you show us more please?
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Steven, Yes I used a home made dolly. I'll include a picture of the setup.

I did a re-edit that includes only the dolly shots. There are some repeat shots from the first clip, but also some new shots. The file size is about 60 megs. But it should stream.

www.elpez.com/dolly.wmv

here's the picture of the setup
www.elpez.com/behind2.jpg

j.
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #9
Major Player

That is most excellent John......Thankyou. Did you go to school for videograghy? How did you learn to get such great shots? I like the dolly set-up!!!
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I agree with the other Steve. I love the dolly. Certainly looks heavy duty and very portable. The track looks good also. Very simple but perfect for the job. Can you give us any build tips on the dolly? Would love to have a go at putting something similar together.

Many thanks

Steven
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Congratulations John!!!

Please can you tell me what transitions you used, when the two clips fade burning to white?

Thanks

Michele
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Michele

My guess is that John did a disolve to a white still but I could be wrong!

Many thanks

Steven
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #13
New Boot

I love the fact that most of your shots are so smooth. Makes the whole video look really nice. Someday i will make videos this good
Daniel Wojtowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Witt
That is most excellent John......Thankyou. Did you go to school for videograghy? How did you learn to get such great shots? I like the dolly set-up!!!
I'll take that as a compliment. :) No, i didn't go to school. I'm anti-school. :) ....When I see something i like in a movie, i try to mimic it. Usually when i watch movies, i'm looking more at the technical aspects instead of following the story. If you want to watch a movie with beautiful crane and dolly shots, look for Baraka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Salmon
Can you give us any build tips on the dolly? Would love to have a go at putting something similar together.
I put together a link to explain the dolly a little better.
www.elpez.com/dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Lombardo
Please can you tell me what transitions you used, when the two clips fade burning to white?
It's a transition in Sony Vegas, called "Sony Flash"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wojtowicz
I love the fact that most of your shots are so smooth. Makes the whole video look really nice. Someday i will make videos this good
Thanks. It's really easier than it looks. Just take a little time, construct or buy a dolly. watch a few movies, then mimic the shots. :D

j.
Old October 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #15
Major Player

John,
I just might check out this movie "Baraka". Is this a movie that would be at a video rental place or something? I don't think I've heard of it before. But I will take your advice and check it out. I like the fact that you are using the movie theatre and the TV screen as your classroom. It must be working. The dolly plans are also inspiring.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders