DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   taking the xl2 on vacation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/534458-taking-xl2-vacation.html)

Kurt Franz July 31st, 2017 05:45 PM

taking the xl2 on vacation

i will be taking my xl2 to new hampshire next week and hope to get some footage from atop mt washington. i will have the ef adapter, 3x wide angle, 30-300 zoom, 14x manual, and 20x auto lenses with me. in the event that anyone actually gives a hoot or even reads this post for that matter - given that no one uses this camera anymore - i would be curious to hear any advice as to shooting technique, or any additional places to visit while i am there.
cheers
kf

Jeff Pulera August 1st, 2017 02:34 PM

Re: taking the xl2 on vacation

Make sure you have a DV Head Cleaner tape in your bag...hate to see you get to the top of the mountain and get a "head clog" error ;-)

Don Palomaki August 1st, 2017 07:35 PM

Check you gear out befor eyou go, make sure it all works.

Read past threads going back to when the XL series came out for other suggestions, comments, techniques.

Kurt Franz August 3rd, 2017 02:10 AM

thanks for the tips ....just threw the head cleaner in the hard case :)

Ian Thomas August 3rd, 2017 03:52 PM

Enjoy it Kurt they are a great camera and remember its content that rules

Bob Safay August 4th, 2017 06:35 AM

Kurt, I loved my old XL2. If your going to Mt. Washington be sure to take a wind shield for you mic. Bob

Steven Digges August 17th, 2017 07:16 PM

Kurt,

I am too late for your trip but here is something I learned with my two XL2s. The wide angle lens went noticeably soft at F2.8, and I mean soft. Mine was best at mid range apertures.

As far as a business ROI my XL series cameras were king. They paid for themselves so many times over it may never happen again percentage wise.

When I was done with them I got so little on resale for one of them (XL2) I gave an XL1 and an XL2 to a friend of mine. He is still happily using them!

I gave him the plates your looking for too...

Steve

Kurt Franz August 18th, 2017 04:44 AM

thanks everyone for your responses......i know its old school stuff but i am loving every minute of it.....
best
KF

Kurt Franz August 18th, 2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1934928)
Make sure you have a DV Head Cleaner tape in your bag...hate to see you get to the top of the mountain and get a "head clog" error ;-)

I had it with me :) also had the datavideo dn60 just in case.......

Don Palomaki August 19th, 2017 04:59 AM

Quote:

The wide angle lens went noticeably soft at F2.8, and I mean soft.
Might be a back focus issue. I ran into a similar problem years ago with an L2 and its 3x wideabgle.