FujiFilm Tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #1
New Boot

FujiFilm Tapes

Hey all,

I was on a movie shoot today and in an unfortunate pinch, used a FujiFilm tape in the XL2. Until that moment, I'd only used Panasonic PQ tapes in the camera. The heads don't have much wear on them as the camera is fairly new, and I won't be mixing brands again...have any others been able to get away with this? I've been told that the Fujis and Panasonic tapes use a similar lubricant, but any extra info would certainly help me out :)

Thanks for the help!

On a happier note- XL2 owned the shoot. Was able to get some truly great images out of it as usual!
Alex Bornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #2
New Boot

Just curious if anyone has had similar experiences :-)

Thanks for any help, guys!
Alex Bornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Tapes

If it's an emergncy it wont hurt to use a different tape. Fuji makes an exelent tape. You might try going to their website and see if they have the spec. on that tape.
If your realy concerened by a good quality head cleaner it's worth every cent.
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bornstein
Hey all,

I was on a movie shoot today and in an unfortunate pinch, used a FujiFilm tape in the XL2. Until that moment, I'd only used Panasonic PQ tapes in the camera. The heads don't have much wear on them as the camera is fairly new, and I won't be mixing brands again...have any others been able to get away with this? I've been told that the Fujis and Panasonic tapes use a similar lubricant, but any extra info would certainly help me out :)

Thanks for the help!

On a happier note- XL2 owned the shoot. Was able to get some truly great images out of it as usual!
Alex,

The lack of response may come in part because you really did not say what your experiance was.

You said, "in an unfortunate pinch," "I won't be mixing brands again," "have any others been able to get away with this?," and "On a happier note." So, what was your experiance or result? Did it work out or were there problems?

I would think that with newer camera that was clean and had been using one brand of tape, that using one tape of another brand would not cause any immediate problems. I would think that if problems did occur, it would be from switching back and forth often.

As previously mentioned, clean the heads and motor on! Also, glad to hear the XL2 was great for the shoot!

Mike
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Further to this thread, what good quality head cleaners would you recommend?..I've got a Sony cleaner tape that I use in my DSR11 between using Pana PQs and Sony DVCam tapes. How often would you clean the heads on the XL2? I get a touch of dropout about once every 3/4 hours of footage.
Thanks.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Gary,

A dropuout every three quarters of an hour seems excessive to me. I use the sony head cleaner in my DSR 11, and The Panny head cleaner in my XL2. I only use Panny tapes in camera. I clean the heads about every ten hours I would say.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks Richard, actually my fault, I meant every 3 or 4 hours - wouldn't be happy at all with every 45 mins! I do the same as you - Panny cleaner for the XL2 (use only PQs) and Sony cleaner for the DSR11, as I also record onto DVCam for archiving long term, as well as digitising the PQs. How often would you have to send your XL2 in for proper servicing?
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Ok, I have a question...

I film alot of weddings, and I most always run the Panasonic AYDVM63MQ
but on several occations I have had to resort to buying my tape (in a bind) at a local store and the only tapes they have are the Panasonic AYDVM63PQ.

Is this ok? Am I messing up my cameras by switching tapes or am I ok 'cus im still using panasonic tapes?

Thanks!
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #9
Tourist

Switching Tape Brands

While picking up a camera from the regional repair center ("the" shop for just about all major brand technologywarranty repair), I asked about the switching tape issue, as I'd been using Sony Premium DVM80PR3's for ever, but tried a few Panasonic "Master" AV-DVM83MQ's. After running across a thread stating that switching brands would trash my heads, I was concerned for the health of my babies!
The repair guy said such an idea was "hooey", and not to worry.
None the less, I stick with the sony tapes.
Didn't see any difference between the sony and the panasonics anyway, other than the packaging (the panasonics look cooler).
Mitch
www.CoyoteCo.Net
Mitchell McKinnon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders