DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Autofocus speed in progressive mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/54360-autofocus-speed-progressive-mode.html)

Johann Adler November 14th, 2005 12:07 PM

Autofocus speed in progressive mode

Hello,

Can a user of the XL2 tell me the autofocus speed and accuracy in progressive mode either 30/24p. If they have experience with the DVX100; please compare them.

The reason I ask is that till this day I can't believe a manufacturer can't make a responsive autofocus system in progressive scan.

Thanks,

Johann

Miguel Lombana November 15th, 2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johann Adler
Hello,

Can a user of the XL2 tell me the autofocus speed and accuracy in progressive mode either 30/24p. If they have experience with the DVX100; please compare them.

The reason I ask is that till this day I can't believe a manufacturer can't make a responsive autofocus system in progressive scan.

Thanks,

Johann

I just shot a wedding this weekend with another shooter that does a lot more shooting in non-progressive modes and he commented on the exact same thing. I haven't had experience out of progressive so I wasn't aware of an issue, however I did have a lot of "focus hunting" during the shoot in good light with the 20x lens. Haven't actually downloaded the footage onto a pc to look at it on a monitor however this will happen this coming weekend and I'll be rather unhappy if I have a lot of out of focus stuff, either way I'll report.

Miguel

Miguel Lombana November 18th, 2005 12:22 PM

Wanted to add a quick update; I did download the footage of the event to the PC and played it back on my studio monitor and yes the 20x was focus hunting all over the place and I should have stayed in manual but I didn't trust myself considering this was the first time shooting a major event with the new cam.

Based on what I see, the B cam was in the back of the church and was holding a semi-tight shot on the groom and bride, between the lens and the alter was a gentleman with a bald head featuring a combover, he was only slightly in the lower part of the shot but I can clearly see the lens swapping rapidly between the hairs on his head and the bride and groom. Normally I would shoot tight on the pastor, manually focus and zoom back out and leave it there, but again since this was the first time with the new cam, I needed to let it do some of the work for me.

Overall, not a loss at all, in fact I'm very likely going to be the only one that notices this but again it's annoying.

Miguel

Johann Adler November 18th, 2005 10:08 PM

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for the update. That was my fear. But glad it didn't ruin the shot. XL2 is a fine camcorder and I'm sure you will master it.

Johann