DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Best settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/54565-best-settings.html)

Olav Aamodt November 17th, 2005 12:31 PM

Best settings

Hi
I’m a proud owner of an XL2. I have been playing around for about two month.
But I can’t get the settings right (I am very new In this “game”).

A friend of mine is going to sell his house and asked me to make a movie of his home. (Video Home Tour)

I have practice on my own house, but I’m not satisfied with the picture. It is very noisy…
I will like to have very clear pictures.

Is there somebody here that a nice custom preset setting for indoor filming in daylight? And good settings for outdoor.

I have the PAL version of the camera.

Hope some one will help me…

Best regards

Olav

Mathieu Ghekiere November 17th, 2005 01:03 PM

With noise, you mean if you are shooting in low-light situations, right?
You have to set your GAIN level at manual, 0db. Or -3db. But not at Automatic or anything else.

Olav Aamodt November 17th, 2005 01:29 PM

Tanks for the answer!
Yes, I had the gain to Automatic – I will try this out to morrow (in the daylight).

Are there some custom presets some one will recommend? Or are the default Custom Presets okay to use…?

Another question about the Gain: In what situations are the gain control used?

Wes Coughlin November 17th, 2005 01:51 PM

go to dvcreators.net and watch the canon exclusive video, it tells you all about manual settings.

http://dvcreators.net/media/demos/xl...aturetour.html

Olav Aamodt November 17th, 2005 02:18 PM

Miguel Lombana November 17th, 2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olav Aamodt
Hi
I’m a proud owner of an XL2. I have been playing around for about two month.
But I can’t get the settings right (I am very new In this “game”).

A friend of mine is going to sell his house and asked me to make a movie of his home. (Video Home Tour)

I have practice on my own house, but I’m not satisfied with the picture. It is very noisy…
I will like to have very clear pictures.

Is there somebody here that a nice custom preset setting for indoor filming in daylight? And good settings for outdoor.

I have the PAL version of the camera.

Hope some one will help me…

Best regards

Olav

If you're shooting a home for sale the same rule applies to showing a home to people while they are their, ALL LIGHTS ON and ALL LIGHTS ON FULL. Next you're going to get better results if you can light the room with your own lighting if you don't have any get creative.

As for the camera settings, don't gain up past 3db, with all the lights on you shouldn't have to anyway. Check your white balances, sometimes outside looks better than inside and finally you can add some master ped and setup to about +2 to get a little bit more detail in the blacks.

Try this out and let us know how you did. Best of luck.
MIGUEL

Mathieu Ghekiere November 17th, 2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Tanks for the answer!
Yes, I had the gain to Automatic – I will try this out to morrow (in the daylight).

Are there some custom presets some one will recommend? Or are the default Custom Presets okay to use…?

Another question about the Gain: In what situations are the gain control used?

I can't help you with the custom presets because I don't have the XL2, but I can help you another way: do a search in this XL2 boards with Custom Presets. I think you'll find at least one thread with people mentioning their custom presets.

The gain... well people who want to work professional will never let it on automatic or higher then 0db I think, but that's when you mostly are working with controlled lightening (like for a short film you are shooting).
When should you use automatic or go up? When you REALLY REALLY have to shoot something in the dark and you REALLY need it (like the absolute proof that one of your neighbours is actually an alien or something). But else, it looks really noisy and that's really ugly.
With strong daylight you can use -3db, others 0db will do fine.

Olav Aamodt December 3rd, 2005 04:26 PM

I must say – Thanks!
The noise is gone :-) and this is very good!

But now I have another problem… I was taking some shoots to day on a house. And on the footage it seems like the wall outside is “alive” if you know what I mean... And the same thing on for example pictures hanging on the wall (inside the house). The frame on the pictures was also “alive”. How can this happen..?

Regards

Olav

Olav Aamodt December 3rd, 2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

I must say – Thanks!
The noise is gone :-) and this is very good!

But now I have another problem… I was taking some shoots to day on a house. And on the footage it seems like the wall outside is “alive” if you know what I mean... And the same thing on for example pictures hanging on the wall (inside the house). The frame on the pictures was also “alive”. How can this happen..?

Regards

Olav

Here is an example: http://www.lille-bill.com/alivewalls.wmv

It Is the "lines" on the house that are "moving"...

Jeremy Harrington December 3rd, 2005 06:35 PM

same thing

This is my exact same problem

Miguel Lombana December 3rd, 2005 07:29 PM

Quote:

Here is an example: http://www.lille-bill.com/alivewalls.wmv

It Is the "lines" on the house that are "moving"...

Run that clip back on youur camera and turn on the screen displays, see what shutter speed you were at, were you by chance shooting 24p?

Olav Aamodt December 3rd, 2005 11:56 PM

I am shooting in 25p. (Have the PAL version of the camera) - and the shutter speed was 1/50.

Ash Greyson December 4th, 2005 02:47 AM

You can try several things... turning down the sharpness... turning up the coring and adjusting the vertical detail... In many cases footage will look different on TV than on a computer monitor... check it on both.

ash =o)

Olav Aamodt December 4th, 2005 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
You can try several things... turning down the sharpness... turning up the coring and adjusting the vertical detail... In many cases footage will look different on TV than on a computer monitor... check it on both.

ash =o)

I will try this out. The vertical detail should it be set to “low”?

Ash Greyson December 4th, 2005 03:43 AM

Just something to try...

ash =o)