Ultimate Guide to the XL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ultimate Guide to the XL-2

Has anyone bought and used the Ultiamte Guide to the XL-2 DVD? I've owned and operated mine for about a year and want to get into the next level. I'd like to hear from someone who's used it.

Thanks for your answers.

Jamie
Jamie Baughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Gday Jaime. I own the DVD and have had my XL2 for 6 months. I find it valuable, but I entered this game with no knowledge of even basic photography. What does "next level" mean for you?
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Baughman
Has anyone bought and used the Ultiamte Guide to the XL-2 DVD? I've owned and operated mine for about a year and want to get into the next level. I'd like to hear from someone who's used it.

Thanks for your answers.

Jamie
I recently purchased an XL2 and "The Ultimate Guide..." DVD. Love both! The DVD has proved invaluable in getting me comfortable using the camera and being productive. I recommend it, a great introduction to the camera's features.

--Ralph
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #4
New Boot

I purchased my XL 2 in June and the DVD shortly thereafter. The DVD does a good job of walking you through each and every menu selection on the XL 2. What is does NOT do is teach you how to shoot good video.

A few of the menu items have sample video associated with them and a waveform monitor is used to demonstrate the effect of a few features. Definately a useful tool to learn how the camara works. I recommend it.
Scott Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks very much to all who replied. I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Excellent feedback.
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Those DVD's put me to sleep a couple of times, but they are useful.
Old November 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Major Player

If you already own the XL2, you should NOT buy this DVD. It is only a tour of the camera and gives you no real user information. Most of the video is just showing the different parts of the camera. It is NOT educational about how to use the camera. Sorry, but do not waste your money. Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
If you already own the XL2, you should NOT buy this DVD.
I disagree. Like several others who have said so above, I think this DVD is a very good introduction to the XL2, especially for folks who are new to the camera and those who might not have owned anything similar in the past. As long as it's clearly understood that this DVD is basically an "XL2 manual on video," and not a how-to guide for video production in general, and that it's targeted to people who are new to the Canon XL series, it is an excellent resource to have. I recommend it as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Major Player

"I've owned and operated mine for about a year"

I cannot imagine learning anything from this DVD if you've had the XL2 for a year, unless it's sitting collecting dust. I'd love to support the guy who makes this video, but to me it's only a tour of the camera or like Chris said, a video version of the manual. You want to spend $30 on that? Go ahead. But I personally do not think it's going to take you to the "next level."

Just my $.02...$29.98 less than the cost of the DVD that I bought in which I learned nothing from. :-)

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

There are those people, believe it or not, who own a Canon XL series camcorder and shoot nothing but Green Box mode and who have hardly cracked the manual. That's who this DVD is meant for.

Kevin has said twice now that he didn't like it, so I'll say for the second time that I recommend it highly, for those who would like to learn more about their XL2.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I bought it a few months back, and have had the XL2 for around 8 months. I found the DVD a good companion piece to the manual. I'm more of a visual person with learning something rather than reading manuals in detail, so I personally found the DVD usefull. Like someone said, it doesn;t show you how to shoot great video, that really only can be achieved by just going out with the camera and shooting, experimenting, etc...
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
There are those people, believe it or not, who own a Canon XL series camcorder and shoot nothing but Green Box mode and who have hardly cracked the manual. That's who this DVD is meant for.
That's scary, true, but none the less, very scary!

I learned to shoot fully manual on the GL2 which is not the best camera to shoot manual on and now that I'm shooting the XL2, seems almost a waste when I enter any mode other than manual with the possibility of EXP Lock for some scenes.

With this camera I find it almost impossible to shoot "bad" video, but for someone to plunk down 5k and only shoot green box is a total waste of their money but we know it happens.

ML
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Manual is the only way I've gone with the exception of when i first took the camera out of the box to check it out while running around town capturing shots.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #14
Wrangler

Even though I generally shoot full manual, I must strongly disagree about describing using the XL2 in Green Box mode as being a waste of money. The XL2 provides the sharpest 16:9 video of a 1/3" SD camera and Green Box doesn't negate that.

Yes, absolutely, someone who knows how to use custom/manual settings can get much more out the camera, especially in tough situations. But for inexperienced shooters, or unexpected situations, nobody should feel bad about using Green Box if that's what works for them. Their results in XL2 Green Box will be far superior than if they had shot with, say, a cheap 1-chip camera -- it's not up to any of us to say they wasted their money if that's their solution. That's their call, and only theirs.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders