PAL users - which shutter speed with 25p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PAL users - which shutter speed with 25p?

I assumed it was 1/50, but the VF shutter warning light comes on if you set it to 1/50 at 25p, and goes off again(i.e. camera thinks the setting is correct/standard) at 1/25. I shot some stuff at 1/25 and it seemed fine, I couldn't really see any motion blurring etc.

Also, I got a DVX recently and it doesn't even give you the option to select 1/50 at 25p when you cycle through the shutter selections - it just goes from 1/25 to 1/60. (although you can of course select it with the synch scan function) This makes me think that you should be shooting 25p at 1/25. Both cameras seem to be telling me this. Any thoughts appreciated to clear this up.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Don't fret the EVF shutter warning light too much... it can be a bit of a distraction, but it's only indicating that you're not in the default shutter speed, so I wouldn't think of it as a "warning." Just wish there was some way to turn that thing off!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I assumed it was 1/50 too...
Are we both so wrong?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Trustee

I think it should be 1/50s. The default for 24p is 1/48s and since they are so close, 1/50s with 25p gives a similar feel to 1/48s with 24p. I think Canon just got it wrong for the PAL cameras when they set the default at 1/25s, because it makes no sense. 1/25s gives way too much motion blur for my liking. It can be a nice effect but I certainly wouldn't want to use it most of the time.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks, I feel happier about 1/50 now, although I was also enjoying the extra light at 1/25 in low light situations!
but then that means Panny got it wrong too when it didn't even give the option of 1/50 on the DVX unless you dial it in on sync scan
Gary Barr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders