DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   How much can I sell a used XL2 for? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/55080-how-much-can-i-sell-used-xl2.html)

Tyson Persall November 27th, 2005 01:43 PM

How much can I sell a used XL2 for?

Ive owned my XL2 for about a year. It hast had too much use and still looks brand new. Mint condition. It was used to shoot about 15 local TV commercials.
--------

A year ago a new XL2 was 5 thosuand.
Now New XL2s go for around 4 thousand.
How much can I estimate to be able to sell it for now.

Eric Brown November 29th, 2005 12:44 PM

Tyson, your best bet is to go to Ebay and see about what they're going for used there. Hope that helps.

Tyson Persall November 29th, 2005 05:26 PM

ALredy tried that - no one is selling a used XL2 - only new ones. - New ones go for about 4 thousand.

Miguel Lombana November 29th, 2005 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Persall
ALredy tried that - no one is selling a used XL2 - only new ones. - New ones go for about 4 thousand.

I'll give you 2 approaches to this one.

When I worked in the music retail industry if someone came in and purchased a new keyboard and came back 3 months later and opted to sell it back, we offered them 50% of cost, they took a beating but some really wanted to get some money back quickly and didn't care. This is way before EBAY btw. Cost on most products in retail range between 10% - 40%, I will venture out to guess that Canon is about 30%.

Another idea is to take a depreciated value for the unit, you got your monies worth to what extent and are willing to part with it for what amount.

Keep in mind that you need to find a sweet spot somewhere between the new market which is currently about 3700 - 4000 at most true camera retailers and a good depreciated amount.

My rule of thumb in this is about 15-30% depending on the wear and tear, blemishes and accessories that you can toss in. If you have a video light, offer it at close to new, if you have a case, again close to new. The attractive dollar amount to the used buyer is the amount they are going to get the camera for <period> if you add some GOOD accessories then you might recover some additional funds.

With all that in mind, low estimate= 2800, good estimate= 3200, good luck estimate= 4000. Considering that you likely got the camera last year for about 5000, do you still really want to sell it?

BTW, I checked Ebay and found 1 for 2700 under a search for USED CANON XL2.

ML

Tyson Persall December 3rd, 2005 04:55 PM

thanks for all the info. appreciated.

Bob Zimmerman December 7th, 2005 08:57 AM

Why don't you try selling it on this website. I sold a Xl1s here. And you don't have to pay ebay.

Ash Greyson December 8th, 2005 01:26 AM

You can get $3250 pretty easy and $3500 with lots of pictures and good feedback.

ash =o)

Matthew Nayman December 9th, 2005 10:29 AM

I'll take it for $30

Al Diaz December 23rd, 2005 01:03 AM

Tyson,

I missed why you are selling the camera.

Pete Cofrancesco December 26th, 2005 05:50 PM

$3,000 would be reasonable to me. but sell it on ebay ppl love over paying for used equipment. who knows you might be able to sell it for more than you payed new for it. lol