ahh, the subjective question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 28th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ahh, the subjective question

Ok, let's here some opinions!!
I'm shooting a doc for a local park, and they want to project it in a theatre. Has anyone played with projection sizes and the XL2? No film blowup here...
What's the largest projection size you'd go? (before it falls apart)
I still want this thing to look good (yeah, I know...)
All their equipment is brand new, it will either be projected from a DV tape or a DVD, on an HD projection system (large format theatre - where they have the ability to adjust the projection size). My fear is that they'll want to blow it up so big that my work will look horrible, and my reputation will be ruined before I even begin. :(
I can't go there and try it myself...the theatre isn't built yet.

I'm generally conservative when it comes to what I think is good image quality. (but liberal in every other way!! ha!)

thanks again everyone!
Tracy Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

No experience with the XL2, but we did project 16:9 material shot on my PDX-10 with a Barco 10,000 lumen DLP projector on a 44 foot wide screen and it looked surprisingly good. The Philadelphia Inquirer even singled out the quality of the video.

Also projected PAL video shot with my Z1 on an even larger screen with a Sanyo 10,000 lumen LCD projector in Argentina this summer. Also looked fine.

I've seen example footage from the XL2 and it looked better than the PDX-10, so I don't think you have a lot to worry about as long as you shoot well. I suspect that one of the progressive modes will give even better results. Strongly suggest that you try running some test footage through their system before putting the final version together if possible. I'd avoid using DVD unless you have to since the compression is only going to degrade the footage. Playback from the tape or possibly from a computer if possible. There are other ways to do this also, but they get into a lot of $$$
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. I am anxiously awaiting construction of their theatre.
I am doing my best to shoot everything with proper lighting, etc. Though it's a documentary, so all ambient light. I have been using the 24p mode, with the idea that they will also show it on a plasma screen, too.

I appreciate your insight!

Anyone else?
Tracy Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Trustee

No theatrical experience here, but we have a Canon realis projector, which is one of the highest resolution pro-sumer projecters on the market, and my experiences boils down to one word...scaling. I've run things off tape, DVD and the Mac, and always...always...the computer wins as far as scaling (and color fidelity) go. this to me is what makes the difference when it comes to large scale projection. If you can see the Jaggies...then it's bad, but the mac (and probably most PC's as well), has a scaling algorithm that seems to minimize, and often eliminate the aliasing associated with DV. Interestingly, I get the same effect with a DVD...run it through DVI off a dvd player, or off the mac, and the mac is strikingly superior...

hope this is of some help.

Barry

Last edited by Barry Goyette; November 28th, 2005 at 11:03 AM.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Wrangler

Interesting.... my experience is quite the opposite. High end projectors generally have nice hardware scalers built into them. Of course you need to set them up properly via their menus so they understand what they're being "fed." You definitely should avoid using either s-video or composite input to the projector, they will probably look terrible. Use DVI (if from a computer) or component (if from a deck or DVD player).

Also, I have no experience with 24p but I'd be just a little nervous about trying it personally. 30p seems like a safer option to me, but maybe that's just the result of my lack of experience in this area....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Trustee

I agree with Boyd... my brother in law owns a theater and they have some nice projectors for the pre-movie ads. I hook up DVDs from my XL2 to it every now and again and it looks very very good.... the nice projectors do better than any HTPC I have seen.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #7
Major Player

I had some XL2 footage blown up onto 16mm at school. Only cost a few hundred due to some connections. I must say, After a bit of postprocessing in Cinelook (to add that glossy, hazey film look) and putting it through 2:3:3:2 onto 16mm film, it looks fantastic, better than a lot of stuf I have seen shot on 16mm.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders