Check out a Music Video I did with the XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Check out a Music Video I did with the XL2

Hey guys,

Shot on a soundstage at Austin Studios, this is my last music video to be shot on a stock XL2. I've got a new music video I'm shooting at the end of December with a proper budget, so I'll be switching to the Panasonic SDX900 w/Pro35 adapter, which will be nice.

Anyway, this was a gruesome three day shoot. My brother and I built all the sets ourselves from scratch (walls, props, set dressings, you name it, we did it), and that took us 48 hours straight without sleep. After finishing the sets, we went right into shooting for 15 hours, so basically we began filming extremely tired and I DO believe it affected the overall product (some of the dolly shots look downright horrid to me), but we had no choice as our studio time was restricted to 3 days, and 3 days only (the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie was set to move in the day after)....so all in all, no sleep for three days.

But I digress, this music video was edited in Final Cut Pro 5 with heavy effects placed on the entire video (which caused considerable lag in my harddrive, but it was necessary).

So here's the link to the video(www.suitedproductions.com/jpriceband.html), the band is called J. Price. You can also go to our main webpage at www.suitedproductions.com to check out some of the other stuff I've done.
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jeff,

What I saw looks great, but is it possible to encode it in a better format so it plays at 24fps? Quicktime, Windows Media, Mpeg?
The macromedia format only plays at about 1 fps on my system and the sound keeps halting as it buffers. But it looks good as a series of stills.

Also, we have a forum dedicated to showcasing work called "DV for the Masses." You should post this there.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=39
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hey thanks Tim, I'll upload a quicktime version and post it in the other forum.

Appreciate it.
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looked great Jeff. Very nice edit. FWIW I'm not sure which version I saw but it loaded quickly and played back perfectly.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Have to say that I thought it looked good. Overall technical aspect was nice, but that's about it. I sure miss video's that had a message rather than just eye candy. I mean no offense as this is what the audience and client seems to want. So with that I think you did a great job.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Totally agree with you James. And hopefully, when I've got a few more videos under my belt and can gather a proper budget from a label, I definitely want to delve into more Gondry-esque territory (the man is a genius).

I'm 19, so I figure if I can reach that level by I'm say...23, I'll have accomplished my goal. But thank you for your kind words and critique!
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

hey jeff.
looked at yourwebsite, i like your work.
i called your brother the other day to say wud up since i'm a 20year old film maker in town. from what i understand we use the same equipment.
if ya need help or ya wanna meet up to network or whatever just give me a shout.
later
Robert Luke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders