color probem - video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 4th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #1
New Boot

color probem - video

this is the color phasing in and out problem i was talking about in an earlier post. I have the uncompressed file here to download and i sped up the video so its easy to pick up. The video is just a repeat clip showing the color phasing problem (red-blue-red-blue)

any help on whether or not this is a problem with my camera or something I am just not getting.

Only seems to happen in 24p

no gain, no increased or decreased shutter speed. anyone wanna try and shed some light?

http://rapidshare.de/files/8638944/c...asing.avi.html

its rapid share....go to free
Jeremy Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #2
Trustee

I haven't reviewed your avi yet but I will venture that you are shooting under some type of fluorescent lights. If you are in the US they are synced to the 60hz line current. In 24P you will get a modulating effect of the color temp. I should add that this is at 1/48th shutter. try using a 1/60 or 1/120 or some multiple of 60 to eliminate this issue. If I see anything in you video to contradict this theory I will post.

I should add that I first noticed this when I got my DVX100 in October of 2002. I also saw it with my XL2 over the last year so it is a 24P 1/48th shutter issue and not an XL2 problem.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Watched the video and I can say almost for sure that it is the fluorescent lighting causing the problem. Try shooting at 1/60 shutter to eliminate this. If there is not significant motion in the scene it will cut pretty well with other clips shot at 1/48th shutter.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #4
New Boot

ill try it out

thanks for the reply. I will try out and see if it works. Would it be safe to say if shooting in 24p to try and avoid flourescent lights? If that is the case what lights should be used?

I also noticed, the higher I go with shutter speed, the worse the problem gets. Instead of faint color phasing, its almost like im throwing R and B gain on and off.

ill take another video at 1/60 and 1/120 and post them both.
Jeremy Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Tourist

flourescent lights fluctuation fixable in FCP?

Something I have shot on MiniDV has a similar problem: a gradual fluctuation, presumably caused by the fluorescent lights in the room. I cannot reshoot the scene. Is there a way of fixing it in post?

thanks
Serge Levchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Serge ....

that would be intense frame by frame color correction in post.... good luck.
http://nine13media.net/
Frank Moss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders