XL2 / Shure Wireless Connection... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 / Shure Wireless Connection...

First off, I would like to thank everyone in this forum for their invaluable inputs regarding DV/Audio. My decision to purchase the XL2 was greatly influenced by the members here.

I have a question regarding the Shure Lavalier System located at...
http://www.shure.com/wireless/vp/default.asp#lavalier

The output connector from the reciever is a 3.5 male audio plug. It seems my choice of recording is:

1. Unplug the hotshoe mic and use that input
2. Convert 3.5 to RCA and use side panel RCA inputs
3. Purchase 3 Pin to XLR cable and plug into rear of camera

I did purchase the 3 pin to XLR cable but have concerns that if the +48 phantom power was to be enabled accidently it would damage the output of the Shure Receiver module.

Any other approach to this situation? My ideal configuration would be to have the original hotshoe mic and the wireless both active at the same time.

Thanks for your time and have a great new year!
George-
George Josol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Josol
First off, I would like to thank everyone in this forum for their invaluable inputs regarding DV/Audio. My decision to purchase the XL2 was greatly influenced by the members here.

I have a question regarding the Shure Lavalier System located at...
http://www.shure.com/wireless/vp/default.asp#lavalier

The output connector from the reciever is a 3.5 male audio plug. It seems my choice of recording is:

1. Unplug the hotshoe mic and use that input
2. Convert 3.5 to RCA and use side panel RCA inputs
3. Purchase 3 Pin to XLR cable and plug into rear of camera

I did purchase the 3 pin to XLR cable but have concerns that if the +48 phantom power was to be enabled accidently it would damage the output of the Shure Receiver module.

Any other approach to this situation? My ideal configuration would be to have the original hotshoe mic and the wireless both active at the same time.

Thanks for your time and have a great new year!
George-

George,

Get the 3pin XLR, don't mess with the others, especially the side connector for the default mic since that is a stereo connection and you're going to be inserting a mono plug from the radio so you're not going to get it right without an adapter from Radio Shack.

48v Phantom can be switched off, leave it off, the only reason that you use phantom power is to power certain types of professional capacitor microphones that require power to be delivered to the element, say for instance a Neumann U48 Broadcast Microphone, that microphone needs phantom power to get the pickup to work.

Trust me you're not going to accidentally flip that switch and send power down the line to the wireless, I've had my wireless on the cam since day 1 and often plug in different sources to XLR-A and have never even come close to hitting the switch.

By the way if you're looking for a great source for custom cables, I used AVCable.com last year and they were superbly priced and only used high end components like Neutrix, cheap with quality is always a great thing!

Miguel
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
George,

Get the 3pin XLR, don't mess with the others, especially the side connector for the default mic since that is a stereo connection and you're going to be inserting a mono plug from the radio so you're not going to get it right without an adapter from Radio Shack.

48v Phantom can be switched off, leave it off, the only reason that you use phantom power is to power certain types of professional capacitor microphones that require power to be delivered to the element, say for instance a Neumann U48 Broadcast Microphone, that microphone needs phantom power to get the pickup to work.

Trust me you're not going to accidentally flip that switch and send power down the line to the wireless, I've had my wireless on the cam since day 1 and often plug in different sources to XLR-A and have never even come close to hitting the switch.

By the way if you're looking for a great source for custom cables, I used AVCable.com last year and they were superbly priced and only used high end components like Neutrix, cheap with quality is always a great thing!

Miguel
Miguel,
Thanks for the headsup. I was going to take a ride to the local Radio Shack and buy a bunch of adapters. I'll just wait for the cable to arrive now :) Also, thanks for the tip on the custom cable vendor, I've never heard of them before.

Cheers!
George-
http://www.netjam.com
George Josol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders