XL2 case? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #16
New Boot

I bought a PortaBrace PC-3 and had the interior custom designed by a local company. It has a dunnage plate at the bottom where I stash a bunch of stuff, spot for my 3x lens, and another spot for my headphones. All the other stuff I have goes in the myriad of pockets the bag has. If you want pictures, e-mail me through my website.

Dave
http://www.artisanmedia.ca
Dave Wowchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM   #17
Major Player

I have ben using a Porta Brace Hiker Pro HK-P3. It's a bit big and I have to hunch a bit when carrying it, but I like the backpack style so I can get around on the subway, or if I have to walk a lot. I like that the back pack straps can be hidden behind a roll-down flap and carried by the handles on one side, like a briefcase.

I keep the XL2 in HK-P3, fully built and ready to go. It's not really a quick draw case because I have too much other stuff tossed in the main compartment. It can hold a lot of stuff like lavs, tapes, cables, W/A adapters and lens hoods too.

I also have the Porta Brace CAR 3 cargo case. I use this as a set bag in addition to the Hiker pro. When I fly, everything, including the camera goes in the CAR3. I take the lens and viewfinder off and wrap them in lens wraps, then throw everything else in it. It has lots of pockets. Everything is put in some type of pouch or wrap, so that everything fits snugly and doesn't bash around. I was going to get the Size Wize, but B&H was out of stock.

If the TSA screener needs me to fire it up, it only takes a minute to put it all together and fire it up, to their satisfaction.

I'm sure there are other bags that will work as well. After measuring the camera, I spent a lot of time on the various manufacturer's sites and B&H's site looking at bags and comparing specs.

A friend was able to stick an Panasonic SDX900 into an LL Bean backpack and then take it out to the air races out in Reno last fall. The lens was dismounted and I think the viewfinder too. He likes getting polystyrene and a heat gun and making the pack fit his wishes and then lining the inside with thin padding.
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM   #18
Major Player

Oh, that rascally XL-2...

I held off ordering a case until I had my XL-2 setup. Even though I don't yet have the IDX battery adapter, I can see that with the Cavision matte box assy, I'm going to need at least 12" x 12" x 24" of space. That leaves out ALL pro soft cases, and bags, including even the Pelican 1660. Oof!

I'm leaning strongly towards a Mountainsmith Zip-Top bag and making a custom liner and such for it.

The reason is that I don't want to disassemble my XL-2 setup every time I move it somewhere. I want to reach into the bag, yank the XL-2 out ready-to-run, and lock it on to the tripod. And, of course, the reverse. No fuss.

If I can poke the mic, zeppelin and windjammer, in there, so much the better!
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM   #19
Major Player

That's just a bag, no real protection, to speak of. Are you going to customize it? Porta Brace does make several bags that are "quick draw" and might fit the XL2. I haven't really checked those out, though.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM   #20
Major Player

I did this to a work bag, once. You get some sheets of corrugated plastic - like the stuff heavy-duty signs are made of - to line the inside of the bag. Then inside of that you fill the void with polyurethane unifoam. Just cut the foam to fit the camera, etc. Just as much protection as anything else.

Nobody makes a bag to fit this setup unless a) I remove the french flag, or b) remove the whole mattebox. Really tedious in either case - so to speak.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I've got the kata case for my xl1-s and can not be more pleased with it. I have a fairly large setup for my camera.

I have the Ma-200 shoulder mount, an Azden sGM-1000 with fur EQ and a cenetatics matteblox.

All I have to do is unplug the XLR from the back of the MA-200 and remove which ever french flag I have on it and the camera fits perfectly snug in the case. I also have a 6.5in monitor klt that fits perfectly behind the viewfinder. next to the lens (on either side) I have the rest of my mattblox kit. Then opposite the monitor, I have a white balance set of cards. It seems like it was all made for the case! Plus, I still have room in the main compartment for a couple extra batteries.

Bryon <><
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:48 PM   #22
Major Player

I removed the two bolts securing the french flag and discovered that I could reattach it reasonably securely without them. That makes the widest part about 8". So a regular bag may work fine. Just so long as i don't have to jocky the camera around to get it in or out. I didn't like the Petrol PCUB-3 I had for that reason. The Kata's look good, especially with the wide opening they provide. I can't tell the difference between the CCC-1 and the CCC-3, though.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #23
New Boot

Hi, Doug...

Did you ever find a good bag/case solution allowing the matte box to fit as well? I also have the XL-2 + 4x4 CAvision matte, and have googled myself silly reading every post on every forum.

My hope is to find something that meets the carry-on requirements, without major disassembly, etc. I am looking hard now at the Kata Exo-33 (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article81.php - formerly the ccc-3333; discontinued, but found one locally), and the Kata TCCT. The latter is nice, but a bit pricey after just buying the XL-2, LCD monitor, Varizoom, etc. The KATA HD-CC-3 also looks nice, but too big for carry-on.

If anyone is using the Exo-33 with an XL-2, effectively, I would love to hear feedback.

Thanks!!

:)

Derek
Derek Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #24
New Boot

I got a soft padded Ace Kase from zotzdigital.com for $130. I was skeptical because of the price but I like it better than the simple soft carry case I've used from Porta Brace. It has the same semi useless flap pockets on the outside as the Porta Brace but it has more room inside. I have a Shure FP24 mixer (like the Sound Devices MixPre) mounted on the battery mount on back and it fits in the case beautifully. I have to remove my short shotgun with Softie windscreen, but it also fits in the case as do my big Sennheiser 280 headphones. The case has a padded notch for the viewfinder, but I do have to slide the viewfinder to the far right of its adjustment range, no big deal. I like this case alot and for the price it's a bargain. Don't think a matte box would fit tho.
David Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #25
New Boot

Thanks, David...

I can't seem to find it anywhere online? Tried ace kase, case, acekase, etc.

Was it recently?

Derek
Derek Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #26
New Boot

I bought the case a month or so ago. Go to zotzdigital.com. Finding stuff on their site can be tricky. Look under Camera/Camcorders, then Medium DV/miniDV cases and its the Ace Kases III KXL-100. I also recomend the Camkote XL2 raincover from Zotz. I've used Porta Brace raincovers for many years and the Camkote is better and cheaper. It's not perfect (none are) but I called the
manufacturer and made some suggestion which they are apparently putting into their new model coming out very soon. They even offered to let me trade in my old one for the new model. Usually more expensive = better, but not with these two products.
David Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #27
New Boot

Thank you, David... found it.

(Update 2 hours later):

Went to the favorite local video source with my cam+matte box, and spent 1/2 hour shoving it in different cases. Very happily, I walked away with the Kata CCC-10. By removing the French flag, tucking it in the Kata's side pocket (pulled it out for the pic), and shortening the bellows to the minimum, the whole cam fits beautifully in the case with the mattebox attached, and with ample room left over for other goo, i.e. the 7" LCD monitor, batteries, remote, etc. There are also the 2 end pockets that hold a fair amount. Measured end-to-end, fully loaded, it is just shy of 28", and about 12"x10" at the thickest end-point. It has the presence of being very unintrusive, so I doubt most airlines would quibble over a couple extra inches in carry-on length. If they did, you could, likely, move any items in the end pockets to the inside of the case, and duct tape the pockets flat--this would lose an additional 6 or 7 length inches, certainly making it legal, then?

Since I spent so many hours unsuccessfully looking for good pics of an XL-2 comfortably in a case, with a matte box attached, I decided to take a few and post links herein (+/- 200k ea), for other's future reference. Hope that's okay. There are always other options and great cases, but this one really worked for me.

http://www.funklogic.com/media/xl2ca1.jpg
http://www.funklogic.com/media/xl2ca2.jpg
http://www.funklogic.com/media/xl2ca3.jpg

Just a note: The EXO-33 was very nice, and would hold an XL-2 w/o the matte box, but I was not able to get it inside with it on. The Vanguard hardshell case (with the little rollers) was beautiful, and would accommodate the XL-2 on it's side with the CA on, but the mic/eyepiece would have to be removed and tucked in the foam around the cam. It is still a good option for hard-case traveling. Tested a couple of other similar versions, but that's the meat of it.

:)

Derek

Last edited by Derek Choice; February 15th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
Derek Choice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders