XL-2 for digital video novice? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 25th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
The XL2 does require a better tripod, more sturdy steadicam devices which are WAY more expensive, etc. and while it is VERY expandable, that comes at a cost. I show up to all my XL2 shoots with $5000+ more gear than with my DVX shoots. For the record, I own both cameras.

I think a newbie is FAR better off with a DVX, if you outgrow that, then think about an XL2. The one thing nobody has pointed out is that neither of these cameras are great wedding cameras. The Sony PD170 is the better choice for that...

ash =o)
I have to agree with Ash here. For someone just starting out the XL2 may indeed be overkill and not the best for weddings either. The sheer number of accessories you are going to need or want will empty most wallets. For weddings you will need a wide angle lens adapter or a 3X lens just for starters, plus all the heavier tripod equipment.

It would be better to start with the PD170 and spend about a year learning all about DV, editing, lighting, shot composition, sound, etc..

Put the cheapest DV camera in the hands of Ash Greyson, Dylan Couper, or many many others on this forum and they will make a video that will put me, my XL2 and all of my equipment to shame.

Get the Sony or simular and spend a year learning video production. JMHO

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders