Century Optics Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Century Optics Adapter

I just purchased the .6x adapter on ebay. The man said "standard 14x lens" I never owned an XL1 or 1s so I assumed that he was referring to the standard lens, after purchasing it I find out he meant the "manual 14x" lens and have now had the education to discover that the standard lens on the XL1 series was 16x.

so... have I just wasted my money and should put this little guy in the classifieds section... or will it work on my 20x lens with little vignetting? (I know I have to use a thick UV filter so as not to damage the glass on the adapter or my lens)

Thanks in advance for your replies

Daniel Riser
Daniel Riser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Century Optics

Dan:

Bill Turner, Schneider Optics, Century Division here:

If the unit is a Century .6X Wide Angle converter for the older 14X manual lens for the XL1 it should be optically compatible with your 20x lens (and the new 16X manual focus lens as well). The auto focus lens for the XL1/1s was a 16x. It will not vignette on the 20X lens.

The physical dimensions of the bayonet ears on the lenses are not exactly the same. If you will send the unit to us, it may be as simple as adjusting the locking mechanism to reset it for your lens. In any case we do not charge for estimates - so if you want to find out the possibilities:

If you wish to email John Sioringas in the service department, jsioringas@centuryoptics.com, His phone number is 818-766-3715 ext 126
Bill Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill,

I cannot thank you enough for this information. I was prepared to turn around and re-sell the adapter, now I will keep it and telephone the gentlemen you recommended. Thanks for great products that put "cine" into my XL2

Highest Regards,

Daniel Riser
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Turner
Dan:

Bill Turner, Schneider Optics, Century Division here:

If the unit is a Century .6X Wide Angle converter for the older 14X manual lens for the XL1 it should be optically compatible with your 20x lens (and the new 16X manual focus lens as well). The auto focus lens for the XL1/1s was a 16x. It will not vignette on the 20X lens.

The physical dimensions of the bayonet ears on the lenses are not exactly the same. If you will send the unit to us, it may be as simple as adjusting the locking mechanism to reset it for your lens. In any case we do not charge for estimates - so if you want to find out the possibilities:

If you wish to email John Sioringas in the service department, jsioringas@centuryoptics.com, His phone number is 818-766-3715 ext 126
Bill,

Thanks for jumping in and helping this fellow out. I made the exact same mistake awhile back. However, the .6 adapter for the 14x does not have bayonet ears, it is a clamp on mount. Although I have since sold mine to someone who has a 14x lens, I found that I could clamp it to the outer ring on my UV filter. I'm sure that's not an optimal distance from the 20X glass but it appeared to give decent focus (hard to tell with such a wide angle view).

Thanks again,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders